wifi extender is super slow?

onemanarmy720

We have a wifi extender we put in the garage to give us internet out there but it is super slow or doesn't work. It is a Belkin and it just plugs into the outlet. the connection shows up on our phones but doesn't work. any way to fix this?

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

WiFi extenders/boosters suck. They may make the signal stronger/go further but because they're picking up an already weak signal, they don't do anything about the low bandwidth. 

Best solution would be to get an access point and run a cable back to the router. If running a cable is not an option, then an access point and some powerline adaptors instead of a hardwire to the router would be a good option. 

We need more information. What Model is it? How far is it from the router? What speeds are you paying for.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

yup thats what I told my mom, its not mine, but they paid a bit of cash and lost the damn box to it so cant return lol.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

We need more information. What Model is it? How far is it from the router? What speeds are you paying for.

they lost the box they jsut sent a picture. lol

TP link make excellent boosters, but as mentioned, they can't "create" bandwidth. I find a lot of people put one on the opposite side of the house to their WAP, expecting magic things - but if your phone can't connect to the WAP then how can your booster?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

3 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

yup thats what I told my mom, its not mine, but they paid a bit of cash and lost the damn box to it so cant return lol.

Yep. For now, try moving the booster closer to the router/WiFi. The booster is only as good as the signal it can pick up. 

Then hardwire to AP or powerline to AP to actually fix the WiFi coverage. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yep. For now, try moving the booster closer to the router/WiFi. The booster is only as good as the signal it can pick up. 

Then hardwire to AP or powerline to AP to actually fix the WiFi coverage. 

3 minutes ago, JustChilliing said:

TP link make excellent boosters, but as mentioned, they can't "create" bandwidth. I find a lot of people put one on the opposite side of the house to their WAP, expecting magic things - but if your phone can't connect to the WAP then how can your booster?

Okay so now I have the whole story, they said they hooked it up a week ago and it was working really good, but now it hardly works. they cant even turn on their desktop computer out there it is frozen when they turn it on and wont let them enter a password. so they called Belkin support and are now being told someone could have hacked their IP. but the wifi inside the house and from the router works just fine.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Put it closer to your router.

fixed it, they had no idea what they were doing. was simple.