Which Should I Choose?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Should I Choose?

• 2018 MacBook Pro 15''
    • 2018 Razer Blade 15''

So, I'm going to college soon as a Computer Science student planning to specialize in artificial intelligence as well as machine learning. I need a new laptop but am having a difficult time making a decision. I originally wanted another MacBook Pro (my old one was an old mid-2012 13 inch MacBook Pro), however, I knew I couldn't do any gaming on it. The one thing I really didn't like about the MacBook was how hot it ran. I saw the LTT video about the new 15'' Razer Blade and looked into it. The price is similar, but I'm not sure which is the best option. I know using GPU CUDA cores to train AI is possible, and that the 1060 is better than the MacBook Pro's GPU, but, will it be sufficient? I'm not planning on working on any super major projects that require massive computing power, however, I do want a laptop that will serve is purpose well. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Edit:

I have an android phone (S8 If anyone cares), and swear by it. I don't hate iPhones, I'd just prefer the extended freedom of android. Also, I am proficient with Windows as well as OSX. Operating system is not a factor in the decision for me. Also, as of now, I use python for my AI programming (Its really just messing around if you ask anyone over the intermediate level lol) but, I am not sure what kind of software and what language I will be using.

It really depends on how integrated you are with the Apple ecosystem. If you have an iPhone, and since you also had a Macbook Pro in the past, you might want to stick with a new Macbook pro. Overheating shouldn't be too bad on it. If you want something that's still powerful, sleek, and upgradable, but with Windows, you should actually go with the Asus Zenbook Pro or the Zenbook 3.  

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

If you're going into computer science, I'd for starters find out if the type of software you'll be using is even supported on MacOS. That would be an immediate factor to consider. Otherwise, like mentioned, are you already apple everything? If you are involved in the ecosystem already, it might make sense to go with the macbook then. If not, Im definitely inclined to say go the windows option for compatibility and due to my personal preference. Im just not a fan of Apple's business model or practices, or agree with their design philosophies.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Let me tell you one thing about the New Macbooks Pro, but before I start I want to tell you that I'd have been a long time Apple user and I liked their laptops and phones. When the new MacBook Pro was released I was excited to see how Apple will release another nice device like the 2015 Macbooks but I was shocked. I wasn't impressed with the thinner lighter thing, but I thought to give it a chance and try it since I'm a long time apple user. I bought the 13" Macbook and I wish I didn't, it was the worst experience of my life, the keyboard is so awful and I couldn't get used to it, they sacrificed the good keyboard with a thinner lighter machine which I care the less about, the second thing is the OSX, it's kept changing that it almost looks like an IOS or tablet experience, which I hate it so much, I mean why someone would care about syncing everything to their laptop. After trying for almost 4 months I just couldn't justify the money I spent for this machine, so I sold it and kept the old MacBook that I had, and bought a new desktop pc which I really started to enjoy using it.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

Just now, tman5400 said:

@Airdragonz 

@suchamoneypit

I made an edit to the post answering your questions

As much as I like Macbooks, it's probably best for you to go with a Windows laptop then. Most Windows laptops have a better price-to-performance ratio and have much better upgradability. Something like the Razer blade should be powerful enough for your needs. Another option if you do need more power, however, is to get a cheaper laptop but run an eGPU with it... (just something to consider)

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

1 minute ago, Airdragonz said:

As much as I like Macbooks, it's probably best for you to go with a Windows laptop then. Most Windows laptops have a better price-to-performance ratio and have much better upgradability. Something like the Razer blade should be powerful enough for your needs. Another option if you do need more power, however, is to get a cheaper laptop but run an eGPU with it... (just something to consider)

Honestly, that is a really good idea, I actually considered it, however, I think I would look just a bit strange running an eGPU in class (if required LMFAOO)

If you really need macOS, the choice is clear. But for the love of God please don't get the i9 model

If you prefer Windows, Razer Blade is out of question due to poor quality.

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

@ZM Fong OS is not a factor for me, but I'm really just looking for a thin-and-light that can do some decent gaming.

19 hours ago, tman5400 said:

@ZM Fong OS is not a factor for me, but I'm really just looking for a thin-and-light that can do some decent gaming.

Before I could provide you suggestions, would you mind answering my questions first:

23 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Before I could provide you suggestions, would you mind answering my questions first:

Well, I have a bit of time between my classes, which gives me some time to stop and charge up but, I'd prefer something a little thinner, but still able to do some decent gaming. I have a half decent job, so, I don't have a low budget. 

18 hours ago, tman5400 said:

Well, I have a bit of time between my classes, which gives me some time to stop and charge up but, I'd prefer something a little thinner, but still able to do some decent gaming. I have a half decent job, so, I don't have a low budget. 

Give me a range on weight and battery life (max weight and min how many hours battery life)

Also, where are you from?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Give me a range on weight and battery life (max weight and min how many hours battery life)

Also, where are you from?

I would like at least 5-6 hours (with RGB lights disabled and without gaming), weight anywhere from 4-8 pounds. A good trackpad is very important to me. I'm from NY, in the US. Also, I'd prefer something that doesn't have that "Gamer aesthetic" Example: Image result for gaming laptop

Image result for gaming laptop

10 hours ago, tman5400 said:

A good trackpad is very important to me

This is really hard to find in power laptops (if you compare to macbook)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 7 months later...

So, I decided to buy the Razer Blade 15 and I have no regrets. It's hands down, the best laptop I've owned to date. It's fast, reliable and the battery is great. If anyone is trying to make a decision like this, I'd personally say blade 15 all the way!

3 hours ago, tman5400 said:

reliable

Razer laptops have bad track record

Desktop specs:

Spoiler