Schrodinger HDD

Dudi4PoLFr

Hello guys, this gonna be a long one.

I might have one of the biggest mystery about a HDD behavior/fail. So our patient is a 2 year old Hitachi HGST Deskstar 7K 4TB ref: 0S03356 with just one partition of 3.63TB. Plugged to a Rampage V Extreme on Windows 10 Pro (drivers and system up to date) and powered by a Corsair HX1200i with original cables.

So the fun part now:

Since about 2 weeks I had some problems with this drive. It could just randomly freeze and stop response for 1-5 minutes (also a restart of PC was helping) what would cause a crash of every software running on that drive. What I have done about this:

- I started by disabling the auto power off option if the drive is not used  -> Nothing changed

- Change the SATA and power cable -> Still same

- chkdsk -> Nothing wrong with the drive

- HD Tune and teskdisk -> Nothing wrong 

- Hitachi HGST software to test the drive -> still ok

Also, I need to say when the drive was working everything was ok, the performance, speed of accessing the files (event the biggest)

And then this morning the drive failed hard on me. I started to hear a "clicky" sound, But I was not the sound that a drive make when it can't spin or when the read-and-write head can't read the drive. I didn't hear this sound from a HDD before.  At start windows were, just showing me the access letter and the drive name, without the strap of usage. In the disk management of windows 10 I saw the drive with an "unallocated space" partition. So I restarted the pc, which always helped with the previous problem, but this time when the system was up again, I didn't see the drive at all, but what was strange the disk management showed me 2 partition of 2TB on that drive. Just like that, it changed without even asking from GPT to MBR. TestDisk confirmed me this by showing again those 2 partitions after a scan. I could not write the old GPT data to the drive, so I decided to format the drive (no important data on this drive) and see what will happen. And surprise, surprise everything is working good so far (O_o). Benchmark with ATTO and HD Tune runs just fine with the same write and read speeds as before. Copying large files is not a problem in both ways. But in SMART for this drive I have a warning (Drive has still a status OK(!?)) on: 05 Realloced Sector Count: Current 22, Worst 22, Threshold 5, Data 1570.

So, You think that this drive will fail again or even die on me or I can keep it a little bit more awaiting further discounts of high capacity SSD?

Has someone here experienced the same issue with a HDD?

Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to give me some ideas.

PS

Sorry for my bad English :(

Obviously something is wrong, just buy a new HDD and throw this one away.

Crystaldiskinfo should be able to show you some problems with it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Obviously something is wrong, just buy a new HDD and throw this one away.

Crystaldiskinfo should be able to show you some problems with it.

I know I'm looking for a new HDD or a SSD right now. That old drive just crashed at me again after 3th run of Crystaldiskinfo. But he recovered few minutes later.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try running a full scan with something like badblocks., the smart data seems to be uneffected.

I will try this when I will have a new drive. At this moment I can't unmount this drive.

At this point I know that I need to replace this drive ASAP, it just that I'm curious what is happening with this drive. In my 20+ years with PCs hardware I have never experience a drive that can fail, then recover without any user actions.

PS

I tried to record that sound but the mic on note 9 is bl**dy amazing. That background noise is another 7.2k drive.

Also when the drive crash/fail it freeze Speedfan software (lol)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rNNccWvkhWmKrocvOEuOJlL3OQ7V0uaq/view