Will running an Ethernet cable next to a power cable be bad?

MrSuper

I have an already made gap along my wall and it houses the power cables running to the wall sockets. Will it hurt the Ethernet connection if I run it with the power cable and then cover it up?

shouldn't be that much of a problem

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The ethernet cable is a twisted pair cable.

The twist in this cable is to make ik more resistive te EMI ( electro magnetic interference) which you power cable can make.

so there is no problem at al.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Its not recommended, but generally won't cause any issues unless you are trying to run a cable close to the maximum length of 100m.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not recommended, but generally won't cause any issues unless you are trying to run a cable close to the maximum length of 100m.

Thanks for letting me know. The cable is close to 20m, but only 4m of it is along the power cable. 

You wont notice it. Wtf is with these armchair think-they-know-alls that litter this forum lately?

Have you put an oscilloscope at the end of an ethernetcable of 100m and check the distortion? I have. Copper electrical wiring = not a problem, TL lights or heavy EM fields are.

On 24/08/2018 at 11:27 PM, Belgiangurista said:

You wont notice it. Wtf is with these armchair think-they-know-alls that litter this forum lately?

Have you put an oscilloscope at the end of an ethernetcable of 100m and check the distortion? I have. Copper electrical wiring = not a problem, TL lights or heavy EM fields are.

But that's just it, if you are running ethernet next to power cabling then the chance of it passing near switching PSUs or other appliances is fairly high.  AFAIK this is why its recommended to use STP for fixed wiring, but STP is useless in almost all home scenarios as your average router or switch isn't grounded.  STP wouldn't exist if there was no chance of EFI.

Plus I think we covered the "not likely to be a problem" quite extensively so not sure why you are accusing us of not knowing what we are talking about, you literally said the same thing but in far more words.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7