Help a newbie understand

Dttocs

So fairly new to pc and especially  building. 

Recently did a couple of builds.

My main rig is.

Asus rogs strixs b350 itx motherboard 

G.skill trident z 16gb ram 3200mhz 

Samsung 860 evo 500g m.2 ssd 

Ryzen 1700x watercooled 

Msi gtx 1080 gaming x gpu.

Oh all in a Inwin a1 case. 

So i see videos saying that intel cpu's give better fps in games. 

If my system is not bottlenecked, cpu generally hits 20-30% in game play like pubg then how is Intel better for gaming  ?

Does it just help process faster ? 

If so whats it processing besides initial loading of the game, i thought all game play was gpu related  ? 

Probably basic info for most of you but just trying to learn :)

Its more about games. Many games still are optimized for single core, maybe two cores and as much clockspeed as you can provide. But even more important is GPU as there are only handful of games which are CPU intensive (CSGO, Minecraft, Battlefield series and either PUBG or Fortnite or both).

GPU does all graphical rendering. So everything you see is GPUs doing. CPU does things you don't see. I have only basic understanding of how this would work on fps games. With strategy games like Cities:Skylines and CIV CPU does all the calculations on population growth, economy, movements etc. So when game is CPU intensive, devs have designed it so that CPU calculates most of the stuff and GPU only renders it according to given specs.

If you would have Intel i7-8700K, you would still get same usage numbers in games. This is purely since GPU is doing most of the work. Comparing usage isn't telling anything. You would need to compare two CPUs by running same game with same GPU. This is how reviews are done.

So advatages of having Ryzen are price compared to similar Intel CPUs, and diversity for streaming, rendering and other tasks which eat cores.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks mate that clears a few things up for me.

My journey into pc started because of video editing and i brought a prebuilt pc that came with a Ryzen 1700x so i moved it into the new build.

Gaming has just taken over for awhile during winter lol 

There's a multitude of factors which impact performance. A lot of games still live or die by IPC*clockspeed, and while AMD and Intel have rough IPC parity now, there's still a big clockspeed gap. Also, the very mature and low-latency 'Ring Bus' Intel uses for stitching together cores/caches/memory on its mainstream platform not only outperforms AMD's Infinity Fabric, but it also outperforms Intel's newer Mesh on its enthusiast platform (which is supposed to eventually replace Ring Bus). Coupled with just basic architectural differences, and games generally being more optimised for the strengths of the most popular platform, and there's a bit of a difference in final performance comparisons.

22 hours ago, Dttocs said:

Thanks mate that clears a few things up for me.

My journey into pc started because of video editing and i brought a prebuilt pc that came with a Ryzen 1700x so i moved it into the new build.

Gaming has just taken over for awhile during winter lol 

Its not bad CPU for gaming, if that was your initial question. Its still desktop chip, just high end and with more cores/lower clock speed than what Intel provides. It would be different if it was Threadripper and being compared to Intels (former Extreme) equivalents. As seen in LTT video, they are not meant for games.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv