Can I mix exactly the same RAM, bar memory size?

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
6 minutes ago, Jetrise said:

They're both 2133MHz. What is the dual or quad function? And RAM Slot colour? 

Motherboards typically have 4 slots for memory (there are some exceptions of course) and the first and third work together as well as the second and fourth slot work together. These slots are usually color coded (as the first and third are black and the second and fourth are grey colored, for example). These slots working together is called dual channel. There is quad channel, which is 4 slots working together.. But that is not relevant on most people's motherboards, so i wont talk about it.

You just wanna be sure you put the matching sets of memory in the matching slots.

For example, if you have a 2x4GB set and are now adding a 2x8GB set you want the order to be (from left to right):

4GB - 8GB - 4GB - 8GB

The first and third work together and thus are the same and the second and fourth work together, so they are also the same sort of RAM sticks.

I want to add more RAM to my system. I currently have Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133MHz 4GB x 2 (CMY8GX3M2A2133C11). Is it possible to mix it with exactly the same RAM, just 2 x 8GB (CMY16GX3M2A2133C11), to create 24GB system?

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

So there's no risk of Blue Screen of Death?

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

no, if they are in different channels and at the same speed it will be fine.

my friend has one corsair and one samsung in the same channel and its fine.

As long you use the same ram slot color will it be fine

yoir ram will be clocked down to the lowest MHz 

so so if you use 3ghz and 1.6 ghz then everything will run at 1.6 ghz

you can even use differend size of ram in each slot but you lose the dual or quad function ( p4 atleast could do that xD ) so not recommend 

not sure about kit ram ( dual or quad ) if they can work serperated

Greets from PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

Just now, PowerChaos said:

As long you use the same ram slot color will it be fine

yoir ram will be clocked down to the lowest MHz 

so so if you use 3ghz and 1.6 ghz then everything will run at 1.6 ghz

you can even use differend size of ram in each slot but you lose the dual or quad function ( p4 atleast could do that xD ) so not recommend 

not sure about kit ram ( dual or quad ) if they can work serperated

Greets from PowerChaos

he will explain it xD

just make sure if you do not fill up all ram slots that you fill up the same color ( my mobo got brown and white ram slots ) so they are per 2 

my friend putted 1 in the white and wondered why he was only having 2 gun ram instead 4.  That’s the reason 

and if I am not wrong

dual/quad function is like raid 0

it write faster to memory instead to 1 at the time ( both ram sticks get used equally )

greets from PowerChaos 

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

6 minutes ago, Jetrise said:

Motherboards typically have 4 slots for memory (there are some exceptions of course) and the first and third work together as well as the second and fourth slot work together. These slots are usually color coded (as the first and third are black and the second and fourth are grey colored, for example). These slots working together is called dual channel. There is quad channel, which is 4 slots working together.. But that is not relevant on most people's motherboards, so i wont talk about it.

You just wanna be sure you put the matching sets of memory in the matching slots.

For example, if you have a 2x4GB set and are now adding a 2x8GB set you want the order to be (from left to right):

4GB - 8GB - 4GB - 8GB

The first and third work together and thus are the same and the second and fourth work together, so they are also the same sort of RAM sticks.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/