What is the correct way of doing a fresh install on a system?

AcriticalMas

Hi all,

As the title says, what is the correct way of doing a fresh install of a windows 10 system? (Sorry for what is  a very rookie question!)

Basically I've had problems in the past where my rig has not been performing particularly as it should, lots of stutter cause by spikes in frame time. 

Tried most of the commonly suggested things to alleviate the problems but no chicken dinner as of yet. 

I have done a "fresh re-install" in the past on this system but all I've really done is crate a windows 10 bootable drive using the media creation tool, restart the computer to boot from USB and follow installation instruction, simply wiping my x2 M.2 drives and a HDD by using the erasing option at drive selection page. 

But this has not fixed the problem, so I just wanted to double check that I have done it right. If not please point me in the right direction.

many thanks in advance

Well the recovery options in Windows 10 allow you to do a full clean system wipe. if this doesn't work. The image on your device might be corrupt. If you own the license to Windows 10. You can download it for free on the Microsoft Website and use a external media such as a USB to format your drive completely clean and install Windows from the ISO Microsoft provides.

Be warned though. As this does not include factory provided software such as drivers that normally get preloaded in a manufacturer provided recovery image.

Edit: The Link to the Microsoft Download Page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

34 minutes ago, AcriticalMas said:

Hi all,

As the title says, what is the correct way of doing a fresh install of a windows 10 system? (Sorry for what is  a very rookie question!)

Basically I've had problems in the past where my rig has not been performing particularly as it should, lots of stutter cause by spikes in frame time. 

Tried most of the commonly suggested things to alleviate the problems but no chicken dinner as of yet. 

I have done a "fresh re-install" in the past on this system but all I've really done is crate a windows 10 bootable drive using the media creation tool, restart the computer to boot from USB and follow installation instruction, simply wiping my x2 M.2 drives and a HDD by using the erasing option at drive selection page. 

But this has not fixed the problem, so I just wanted to double check that I have done it right. If not please point me in the right direction.

many thanks in advance

The process you attempted is the best way to ensure that software-related issues disappear; as long as the bootable drive containing installation media is functioning correctly. To eliminate the possibility of a faulty bootable media, follow the refresh instructions available here.

If the issues remain afterward, the problem is probably a hardware or driver issue. Make sure you are downloading drivers directly from their sources (Realtek, Nvidia, AMD, Intel) instead of from the motherboard's OEM.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)