Hooking up old stereo speakers to my PC. Will this work? Bad idea?

So I've got these old stereo speakers just sitting in a corner of the spare bedroom. I thought it would be cool if I could hook them up to my PC. 

I thought about buying this amp to connect it to the PC...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ULRFQ1A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1O3FCDOOYHNQU&psc=1

The amp specs say "Output power: 20W x 2 RMS" but the tag on the back of the speakers say 100W, 6 Ohms. I know that's a big difference but I don't need these things to bump at full power. Just play at a normal volume. 

I don't know. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone here ever done this? Is Windows 10 going to refuse to play the audio unless I keep the amp turned on all the time? Is this amp just going to be too small to push these speakers. Is there anything else I should know?

307t5QR.jpg

^Wow. Look at that dust. Sorry.

That will work fine

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 minutes ago, spwath said:

That will work fine

Really? You think so? I've heard that little amp really only pushes like 10 to 15 Watts max. You don't think that would make the speakers super quiet or something?

6 minutes ago, Clunker said:

Really? You think so? I've heard that little amp really only pushes like 10 to 15 Watts max. You don't think that would make the speakers super quiet or something?

I have that same amp with different speakers. Can't get super loud, but good enough.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

52 minutes ago, spwath said:

I have that same amp with different speakers. Can't get super loud, but good enough.

What wattage were your speakers though?

5 hours ago, Clunker said:

For near field use like on a desk that amp will get those speakers plenty loud enough, I own that same amp with Micca MB42X speakers which are rated at 75w /ea and it gets really loud (enough to piss off the upstairs neighbors) haha

Like the other person said above a cheap hifi amp from craigslist etc will probably sound much better and if you have room for an amp that size you should really go this route it will sound much better and the lepy amp is not made that well my rear terminal points broke after about 1 year of use. 

On 8/20/2018 at 7:20 PM, Clunker said:

Speakers don't have actual watt rating.

What they have is rated max power which they can handle.

How much watts you actually need for good volume depends very heavily on size of room and distance to speakers.

14 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Speakers don't have actual watt rating.

What they have is rated max power which they can handle.

How much watts you actually need for good volume depends very heavily on size of room and distance to speakers.

Mm, Klipsch speakers can be damaged by low power, but they might be a bit of an outlier.

Otherwise just a 3.5 to RCA and you'd be all set to go. You could might still want to look at used stereo amps or receivers. Could even find an old one in a wood box. ;)

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Mm, Klipsch speakers can be damaged by low power, but they might be a bit of an outlier.

Pure signal at lower amplitude/power certainly can't cause damage.

But if amplifier is cranked up too high causing clipping that can cause damage to speakers.

And connecting 4 ohm speakers to amplifier intended only for 8 ohm speakers would increase risk for clipping/high distortion.

4 hours ago, EsaT said:

Pure signal at lower amplitude/power certainly can't cause damage.

But if amplifier is cranked up too high causing clipping that can cause damage to speakers.

And connecting 4 ohm speakers to amplifier intended only for 8 ohm speakers would increase risk for clipping/high distortion.

Take it up with Klipsch. I aint arguing with them.

#Muricaparrotgang