Dead Laptop, could the charging port be the cause?

Hello there.

From a friend I got an Acer Travelmate B113-M-53314G32akk (long name) that is very dead. No lights are lit and nothing happens when I press the power switch. (Do not have original charger, the computer wants 19V 2.5A, the charger is 19V 6.32A)

I pulled it apart to check what might be wrong, started checking with the multimeter where the DC port plugs into the motherboard.

Got nothing, which I think is a bit strange, should I not get 19V when the charger is in?

Have looked a bit like such a DC port on ebay, found it here: https://goo.gl/bNzZSv It's not that expensive, so thinking about ordering one.

Or could there be anything else that could be the cause of the deadness, which I should check first before I start ordering stuff?

Thanks in advance!

If you measured right where the port connects to the MoBo and got nothing, either the port or the charger is dead.  Make sure it's the former, it would be a shame to solder on a new port only to find out that the charger itself was the cause of the problem.

its possible (but unlikely) that you have a charger plug that fits, but does not make propper contact.

other than that, its the usual thing: confirm your charger is working, check if voltage is entering the laptop, and based on that either repair it or buy something new.

37 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its possible (but unlikely) that you have a charger plug that fits, but does not make propper contact.

other than that, its the usual thing: confirm your charger is working, check if voltage is entering the laptop, and based on that either repair it or buy something new.

Actually, it turns out you're right, the charger wasn't making contact with the "pin" inside the laptop port. Ive tried with a 12V adapter, and im now getting 12V through the port. I can't run the laptop from the 12V one though, so im gonna check and see if i have another charger that would fit.

10 hours ago, TwentyOnePenguins said:

Actually, it turns out you're right, the charger wasn't making contact with the "pin" inside the laptop port. Ive tried with a 12V adapter, and im now getting 12V through the port. I can't run the laptop from the 12V one though, so im gonna check and see if i have another charger that would fit.

i may or may not have been in the same boat at some point.

if you dont have a charger that fits, or dont wanna bother swapping the charge port, very carefully putting a slight bend on the inner pin of the charge port is enough to make contact.