Ashes of Creation

ShawnTD

I searched around before making this and found a few threads from last year. Anyway I just watched their stream today on twitch and they debuted their first pass at action combat to compliment their tab targeting. I thought it was pretty cool and was more or less curious on others opinions if anyone else has been keeping up with it. I bought the Beta 2 early access pack. Anyone else anxiously waiting for this game? 

Where can I find a quick rundown on it? Just looked at a couple of gameplay videos. One from 2 months ago looked like a traditional MMO, while the video from a couple of days ago looked like Rune without a HUD. If that means they got rid of the ability cooldowns, I might be interested.

The biggest difference between this game and other mmo's is their mode system. This is what got me hooked. They also have all of their previous streams on twitch.

I have been following AoC for some time now and I admit it looks really good - it has some potential though I'm not without worries. But if they can make something with a system similar to Tera without all the distracting and immersion breaking stuff like riding in police cars or fighting in a speedo, I will check it out.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 8/19/2018 at 2:25 AM, ShawnTD said:

The biggest difference between this game and other mmo's is their mode system. This is what got me hooked. They also have all of their previous streams on twitch.

It looks like they've divorced territory control of PvP and instead attached it to grinding. It could work as a dynamic world event system, encouraging /zone to focus on a particular area to spawn certain world events, but this kind of system would have to be very carefully and actively managed by the dev, and I can easily see this as the kind of thing which gets axed when they inevitably 'relaunch' six months after launch, in the name of making the game more friendly, and compensating for the fact that 2/3rds of the content will never be seen due to most of zone only ever grinding one node in search of a particular drop. Nothing more annoying than sitting on a half-finished quest for six months due to another faction perma-squatting a territory.

Also, node? Ugh, way to make things needlessly confusing. 'No, not that node; I meant the other type of node.' That's almost as bad as ESO having guilds (clans) and guilds (skilllines/questlines).

Yea it will be interesting for sure. I played eso for a few years and had most of the vet content complete. I quit playing right before Morrowind so I know what you mean about the naming convention. I hyped for this game but at the same time I'm very cautious and not looking at it blind. They are going to have to come at this with a very careful approach to make sure that it balances out well. As for the half finished quests I THINK that the whole quest would be unlocked once the area is accessible(leveled up enough) The other part is that the whole game (not sure if towns are safe zones) is PvP but with an anti griefing system similar to how Fallout76 is going to be with griefers getting marked for death in a way. So I hope that deters alot of it. I'm worried about big guilds just running an entire server and not having any say so, unless they will let you port your character to another server. Although I think with the amount of players per server(10's of thousands they claim) that shouldn't be a problem. They've been completely transparent so far with the making of the game and broke several records with kickstarter to make the game even bigger so I would think that it should be a solid game.