RJ45 Wireless

Spurgt_Fuglen

Hey Everyone,

I have this task to configure plc's, with cables from a switch on the roof. 

My question is, can you get a transmitter and a reciver with rj45, where they are paired together from factory?

All suggestions are welcome! :)

Unavngivet.png

there's point to point wifi, there's lasers, there's probably a whole load of other solutions..

but fact of the matter is, if the entire distance between the two endpoints is your property, its probably best to just run a cable.

Isn't that wifi?

Just now, timl132 said:

Isn't that wifi?

It might be. But the plc has no "interface". So the wireless connection or wifi, must be determined outside the plc. Thats the best i can describe it.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's point to point wifi, there's lasers, there's probably a whole load of other solutions..

but fact of the matter is, if the entire distance between the two endpoints is your property, its probably best to just run a cable.

You are probably right about the distance. But it would be more convenient to have transmitters and receivers, to make the connection. If it is possible at all.

1 minute ago, Spurgt_Fuglen said:

It might be. But the plc has no "interface". So the wireless connection or wifi, must be determined outside the plc. Thats the best i can describe it.

You are probably right about the distance. But it would be more convenient to have transmitters and receivers, to make the connection. If it is possible at all.

Would these rj45 wall plug things work too? They give you internet access over your house power sockets.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI

There are cheaper ones, but I was too lazy to look.

Just now, Spurgt_Fuglen said:

how "convenient" does the pricetag have to be? because these solutions arent what you call cheap, and considering the amount of setup as well.. its probably best to buy some very shielded ethernet cabling. at work we have a client that used to run a laser for a while, which was a $10K+ solution. point to point wifi is much more affordable, but that is relative in this regard..

1 minute ago, timl132 said:

Would these rj45 wall plug things work too? They give you internet access over your house power sockets.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI

There are cheaper ones, but I was too lazy to look.

since a PLC was mentioned, i'm guessing this is an industrial environment. and those powerline shitboxes.. barely get any speed in a house with less than ideal wiring.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

since a PLC was mentioned, i'm guessing this is an industrial environment. and those powerline shitboxes.. barely get any speed in a house with less than ideal wiring.

Oh yeah, well.

I used them for a while, worked pretty good here.

Another solution might be buying 2 routers, flashing them with openwrt, and connect them together with wifi.(This takes some effort and time)

You can use directional antenna's if you need more range.

3 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Another solution might be buying 2 routers, flashing them with openwrt, and connect them together with wifi.(This takes some effort and time)

You can use directional antenna's if you need more range.

at that point, buy p2p solutions, they exist, they arent amazing, but they are wireless and point to point.

Thanks for your suggestions, both. I'll take a look at some point-to-point solutions. It is indeed industrial environment, Lego factory to be exact :) 

54 minutes ago, Spurgt_Fuglen said:

Thanks for your suggestions, both. I'll take a look at some point-to-point solutions. It is indeed industrial environment, Lego factory to be exact :) 

If you are looking at doing this in a commercial application and within a companies network, then you should contact the companies IT department and put a request in with them to extend the internet service to wherever it is you need it. Your companies IT staff should be able to determine what is the best application for delivering network to where you request it

You could be fired for attempting to alter the companies networking/wiring without permission and qualifications to do so, especially if you meddling with it causes any form of network downtime for the company if you make a mistake.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450