2 in 1 suggestions?

Migit

My workplace is sending me back to University next year to commence a Masters Degree.

So figure it's time to treat myself to a new Tablet/Laptop so I can take notes, work in the library etc, along with at home.

I haven't purchased a portable device since I started my Undergrad, 9 or so years ago and due to age, they're excruciatingly slow now.

Ultimately I need a device for note taking, looking up studies, completing assignments etc. However, I know myself and even though I have a nice gaming rig at home, I'll end up using this for watching Movies and playing basic games at times.

I'd like to only buy the one device to get me through the whole course which is 3-4 years, depending on if I do a thesis or coursework for the final part. Plus I've heard deferring for a year is rather common due to the stress of working and studying the course at the same time. So I'm looking higher end, so hopefully will still be functioning in 4-5 years.

I'm in Australia, and the price isn't a concern (I don't need the device until late February, early March), I'm thinking a 13" device for portability and weight, though I've never tried one, I feel like a 15" tablet would just be massive

From spending an hour browsing, the 3 devices that keep coming up are; Mircosoft Surface Pro 2, Dell XPS 13 and Lenovo Yoga 920.

Does anyone have experience with any of these and recommend one? Should I be looking elsewhere? Is there upcoming devices that will be released by February I should wait for?

Thanks for any advice

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

2 minutes ago, Migit said:

My workplace is sending me back to University next year to commence a Masters Degree.

So figure it's time to treat myself to a new Tablet/Laptop so I can take notes, work in the library etc, along with at home.

I haven't purchased a portable device since I started my Undergrad, 9 or so years ago and due to age, they're excruciatingly slow now.

Ultimately I need a device for note taking, looking up studies, completing assignments etc. However, I know myself and even though I have a nice gaming rig at home, I'll end up using this for watching Movies and playing basic games at times.

I'd like to only buy the one device to get me through the whole course which is 3-4 years, depending on if I do a thesis or coursework for the final part. Plus I've heard deferring for a year is rather common due to the stress of working and studying the course at the same time. So I'm looking higher end, so hopefully will still be functioning in 4-5 years.

I'm in Australia, and the price isn't a concern (I don't need the device until late February, early March), I'm thinking a 13" device for portability and weight, though I've never tried one, I feel like a 15" tablet would just be massive

From spending an hour browsing, the 3 devices that keep coming up are; Mircosoft Surface Pro 2, Dell XPS 13 and Lenovo Yoga 920.

Does anyone have experience with any of these and recommend one? Should I be looking elsewhere? Is there upcoming devices that will be released by February I should wait for?

Thanks for any advice

personally if you were to want a higher end laptop i would advise against MSI's laptops for note taking as their keyboards have some weird looking letters on them. going the gaming or workstation route is probably better (personally i would go against touchscreen due to performance issues) also 13 inch i feel is a bit small (although i was looking at getting a 13 inch just for story writing and song writing). i will have a look on Harvey Norman's and Jb's website to see what i can find (i live in QLD :))

39 minutes ago, Migit said:

Just grab the HP Envy X360 with an R5 2500U in it? Is a decent enough machine if the price is low

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

17 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

what is included in basic game titles (for some its Minecraft for others it Wildlands)

Probably Minecraft

16 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Just grab the HP Envy X360 with an R5 2500U in it? Is a decent enough machine if the price is low

I'll give it a look, though I do like the idea of a 2 in 1, for touchscreen, to write notes on lecture slides etc (I learn and memorize things better if I write them down)

EDIT: just got around to watching the attached video. Didn't realize this machine had the 360-degree hinge, I'll add it to my list

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

I think new surface pro or surface laptop is a good choice, they are both thin and light ,so it is great for taking to your class. besides,they both have a long battery life.

Hope this is helpful for you?

8 hours ago, Migit said:

Lenovo Yoga 920

If you want a 13 inch convertible (Yoga 920 is 13.9 inch but has small footprint) then this is a good option, but make sure you get 16GB RAM since the RAM is soldered (most 13 inch Ultrabooks have soldered RAM)

Also consider HP Spectre x360, Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga (X380, L380)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, OliverGone said:

I think new surface pro or surface laptop is a good choice, they are both thin and light ,so it is great for taking to your class. besides,they both have a long battery life.

Hope this is hopeful for you?

I think I like the pro more, but I'll look at both

4 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

If you want a 13 inch convertible (Yoga 920 is 13.9 inch but has small footprint) then this is a good option, but make sure you get 16GB RAM since the RAM is soldered (most 13 inch Ultrabooks have soldered RAM)

Awesome, I'll give them a look as well, I was underprepared for how many options there would be

On 8/18/2018 at 2:53 AM, ZM Fong said:

Thoughts on ASUS Zenbook Flip UX461UN?

5 hours ago, Migit said:

Thoughts on ASUS Zenbook Flip UX461UN?

Good model

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128