Random power offs caused by shitty reset button on case

A couple months ago, I built myself a new PC and decided to go all in. My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dq2spG (minus the cooler because I couldn't mount it). Ryzen 2700X, 1080 ti, 32gb RAM, the full nine yards. Overall, I was pretty happy with my build, and it ran games beautifully. I only have one incredibly frustrating problem with this build, and it's unfortunately a deal breaker. 

At seemingly completely random intervals, for no apparent reason, the computer will shut off. Not a clean shut down, but a hard shut down, like pulling the plug out of the wall. The fans will keep spinning, and it just boots right back up. These power offs are completely random. They can happen 10 minutes after boot. They can happen an hour after boot. They can happen a day after boot. It doesn't matter what's running either. I could be playing games, or just browsing the internet. OS doesn't matter either, I dual boot Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 and these random power offs happen on both. Today I was in Ubuntu's recovery mode trying to fix my btrfs partition (it wouldn't mount because a random shut down messed with the transaction log), and I got a random shut down there too.

My motherboard came with BIOS version 0222, and after talking with ASUS tech support, they recommended I update my BIOS to the most recent version, which is version 4018. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem.

I'm definitely going to be following up with ASUS tech support, after I get settled into my dorm this year. If anybody has any ideas to fix this, I'm all ears, but otherwise I'm probably going to have to replace my motherboard.

Edit: I'm going to try to reset my power cables, and a different power supply if possible.

yeah it could be a PSU issue... 

just because the fans keep spinning doesn't say much. fans keep spinning for a few seconds after the power to them goes off... 

She/Her

Random shutdowns often are the result of fluctuating voltage, usually caused by a bad PSU rail.  Test with another PSU first, then look into the rest of the PC.

12 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

How do you know its a mobo issue? Use a UPS or line conditioner for the power

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah it could be a PSU issue... 

just because the fans keep spinning doesn't say much. fans keep spinning for a few seconds after the power to them goes off... 

Why would it boot back up automatically without user interaction? That's a feature that you find in server boards, not consumer ones. I do have a UPS, a CyberPower 1350VA, which is also fairly new, and I didn't have issues with it using my old build.

Can't blame the motherboard straight away. Most likely a power supply issue. Test it with a new one.

hi.

Just now, dyc3 said:

Why would it boot back up automatically without user interaction? That's a feature that you find in server boards, not consumer ones. 

i've owned consumer boards that do it. it's a setting in the bios/uefi called restore after power loss or something. every manufacturer has a different name for it.

She/Her

13 minutes ago, dyc3 said:

Why would it boot back up automatically without user interaction? That's a feature that you find in server boards, not consumer ones. I do have a UPS, a CyberPower 1350VA, which is also fairly new, and I didn't have issues with it using my old build.

Likely a power supply issue, that's known as bootlooping. LG devices especially are famous for this, but it's common on faulty computers too.

ap_resize.jpeg.72b16b94570dd95e4f99cadef79ed73f.jpeg

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I was thinking power supply also when I read the OP's post.  Either that or a overheating issue, could check to make sure your H/S and fan are properly mounted.  Given the random nature of the reboots it could be either imo.  But Power supply is top of the list for me as well. 

I haven't had a random shutdown for about 24 hours now. The only thing I did was unplug the reset button on my case. I think the button might be a little sensitive.