Cpu got me really worried

Hey all!

I have an i7 6700k and the stock Intel heatsink. About half a year ago, while cleaning the computer I accidentally broke one of my hear sink legs, the other legs held it in place and the CPU was cooled well enough so I paid it no mind. 

Today my CPU fan started making a lot of noise while on idle so I checked and discovered that my CPU was at 100° and thermal throttling(picture attached). For the last half a year I played plenty of video games and didn't have any problem at all. I opened up the case and there was a bit of dust(not enough to make it reach a 100°) and the heatsink felt a bit lose. I was planning to buy the Noctua NH-D15 anyway and wanted to know if replacing the heatsink would solve this problem?

IMG_20180813_172554.jpg

@Gamorak
if the CPU is still working you shouldn't worry about it, but turn it off if its overheating on idle, don't even think about keeping it running.
and ofc it would solve the problem

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@Gamorak
if the CPU is still working you shouldn't worry about it, but turn it off if its overheating on idle, don't even think about keeping it running.
and ofc it would solve the problem

I shut it off right after taking this picture.

I'll go buy the new fan tomorrow ,thanks for calming me down a little.

Just now, Gamorak said:

I shut it off right after taking this picture.

I'll go buy the new fan tomorrow ,thanks for calming me down a little.

dont worry :D if something went wrong with the CPU from the heat, you wouldn't be able to boot it up.

CPU's are very complex, they can't walk with 1 leg, one tiny thing broken and the whole CPU is most likely dead.

Why the hell you use intel stock heatsink on the i7 6700K?

That cooler wont even be enough to dissipate the heat properly from the 6700k, dont buy an intel heatsink anymore try finding something like Cryorig h7 or be quiet pure power 10 or any decent aftermarket cooler.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

dont worry :D if something went wrong with the CPU from the heat, you wouldn't be able to boot it up.

CPU's are very complex, they can't walk with 1 leg, one tiny thing broken and the whole CPU is most likely dead.

Lol what? U can damage a cpu with static and fry a few pathways and u will never know why ur cpu is unstable, it wont be dead.

Just now, syn2112 said:

After rebooting(to check if that will fix it) it did give me a warning that the CPU is too hot and took me to the bios, after pressing the "save and exit " button it still rebooted so I think the CPU is fine (I shut it off as soon as I could)

3 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Why the hell you use intel stock heatsink on the i7 6700K?

That cooler wont even be enough to dissipate the heat properly from the 6700k, dont buy an intel heatsink anymore try finding something like Cryorig h7 or be quiet pure power 10 or any decent aftermarket cooler.

Yeah I'm going to buy tomorrow the Noctua NH-D15 

Just now, Gamorak said:

After rebooting(to check if that will fix it) it did give me a warning that the CPU is too hot and took me to the bios, after pressing the "save and exit " button it still rebooted so I think the CPU is fine (I shut it off as soon as I could)

Stop turning it on if ur cpu is instantly overheating ur cooler fan is dead or cooler not attached properly or at all

2 minutes ago, Cbfbrolol said:

Lol what? U can damage a cpu with static and fry a few pathways and u will never know why ur cpu is unstable, it wont be dead.

i said "most likely" dead, and unstable means dead to me, most transistors in the CPU are critical, if one of those fails it will basically declare the CPU dead.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

i said "most likely" dead, and unstable means dead to me, most transistors in the CPU are critical, if one of those fails it will basically declare the CPU dead.

'Unstable is dead to me' is alot different to 'dead'

1 minute ago, Cbfbrolol said:

Stop turning it on if ur cpu is instantly overheating ur cooler fan is dead or cooler not attached properly or at all

I didn't turn it on since getting that message, I will replace the cooler tomorrow. 

Just now, Cbfbrolol said:

'Unstable is dead to me' is alot different to 'dead'

unstable = un-usable = worthless = dead

9 minutes ago, Gamorak said:

Yeah I'm going to buy tomorrow the Noctua NH-D15 

Thats cool, no pun intended but that is a bigass cooler and its a pain to install.

But it is a damn good cooler

3 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Thats cool, no pun intended but that is a bigass cooler and its a pain to install.

I have never installed a cpu cooler before, is there a good cooler that is around the same price and a bit easier to install? Or should I not worry about it? 

1 minute ago, Gamorak said:

I have never installed a cpu cooler before, is there a good cooler that is around the same price and a bit easier to install? Or should I not worry about it? 

No aftermarket cooler are always a pain to install especially the big one but its not that hard tbh just kinda annoying.

Fyi i made my first blood sacrifice trying to install a classic hyper 212 evo

4 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

No aftermarket cooler are always a pain to install especially the big one but its not that hard tbh just kinda annoying.

Fyi i made my first blood sacrifice trying to install a classic hyper 212 evo

Also I have one more question just to make sure, the cpu cooler hight is the same as the hight that is written to be the maximum for my case, that's ok, right? 

get an AIO. they are easy pretty easy to mount..assuming you have somewhere you can mount the radiator.  Ive never used anything smaller than a 360, so i dont know how some of the small ones mount.   (also, some are cheaper than that noctua)

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

get an AIO. they are easy pretty easy to mount..assuming you have somewhere you can mount the radiator.  Ive never used anything smaller than a 360, so i dont know how some of the small ones mount.   (also, some are cheaper than that noctua)

I wanted to get one but I don't have anywhere to mount the rediator

8 minutes ago, Gamorak said:

Also I have one more question just to make sure, the cpu cooler hight is the same as the hight that is written to be the maximum for my case, that's ok, right? 

yes

34 minutes ago, Gamorak said:

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK022-Cooler-6-Pole-Wings135mm/dp/B07BY6F8D9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534176757&sr=8-2&keywords=be+quiet+dark+rock

easier to install, same price

39 minutes ago, Gamorak said:

I don't have it in my country and Amazon shipment will take at least a month+about 30$... I guess I'll buy the Noctua 

its fine either way :D 

On 8/13/2018 at 8:06 PM, syn2112 said:

its fine either way :D 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:35 PM, Ya_Mi said:

Wasn't that bad(it has more airflow than it seems like in the picture) 

IMG_20180815_181723.jpg

@Gamorak
damn that's a tight fit :| almost calculated

how are the temps now?