upgrade on CPU

looking to upgrade my 6700k to help out on performance in games wondering if I should get the 7700k or get a whole new motherboard and CPU or just get the CPU that will work on the motherboard I own?

6700K to 7700K makes no sense, they are bascially the same CPU. If you have a Z board you can overclock your 6700K to 7700K speeds easily. 

11 minutes ago, jonbush1234 said:

looking to upgrade my 6700k to help out on performance in games wondering if I should get the 7700k or get a whole new motherboard and CPU or just get the CPU that will work on the motherboard I own?

I'd recommend that you get a new board, and maybe wait for 9th gen cpus?

I may be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Altruist said:

I'd recommend that you get a new board, and maybe wait for 9th gen cpus?

I agree, but we're not sure if 9th gen CPU's will work with Z370 boards. Intel might be a bitch again and make Z470.

hi.

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

6700K to 7700K makes no sense, they are bascially the same CPU. If you have a Z board you can overclock your 6700K to 7700K speeds easily. 

I have tried doing that but I lost the silicon Lottery and only get my chip up to 4.4GHz. when with the cooler I have I should get 4.6GHz no prob. also what about the 8086k

3 hours ago, jonbush1234 said:

I have tried doing that but I lost the silicon Lottery and only get my chip up to 4.4GHz. when with the cooler I have I should get 4.6GHz no prob. also what about the 8086k

8086K is overpriced get the 8700K. 

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

8086K is overpriced get the 8700K. 

wouldn't I have to think about deliding the 8700k and replace the tim to get the same amount of performance that the 8086k would give me?

2 hours ago, jonbush1234 said:

wouldn't I have to think about deliding the 8700k and replace the tim to get the same amount of performance that the 8086k would give me?

No, I guarantee that you won't see even a frame of difference in games between these two.