"RGB is evil" or "How do I get it to turn off when I need to sleep?"

jerrac

Was my title actually clever? Or did I fail? :\

Anyway, I recently upgraded my system. It's effectively a new build, and it's the first I've built in years. We barely had fancy LED lights the last time I did this... And, as awesome as RGB is, my PC is in my room. Nightlights do not help me sleep.

So, here's my question, how do I turn off all the RGB and other lights on my case, motherboard, and AIO?

• Case: Corsair 1000D.
  • Montherboard: Asus Prime X399-A
  • AIO: Corsair H100i v2.

Corsair RGB

Using Corsairs iCUE program, I seem to have turned off the front IO and front logo by setting a SOLID color of #ffffff.

Using Corsairs iCUE program, again, I have dimmed the H100i, but it is still on, by setting it to #000000.

When Windows reboots, the Corsair lights all turn back on until Windows starts up, and iCUE can start. This was somewhat startling the other night when Windows Update did it's annoying "I'm going to reboot whether you like it or not, thing."

ASUS RGB

On the motherboard, I have turned of the RGB via the BIOS. But there are still lights. The Error code display is nice and bright. And there's an orange LED in the bottom right corner.

Is it even possible to turn those two things off? Or do I need to just get some poster board and cover the tempered glass?

The Future is LinusLinux

I also plan on moving to Linux when I can afford a second graphics card (I had hardware issues on my old system and ended up building this sooner than I had planned...) Two cards will let me pass one of them through to a virtual machine. (See that video Linus posted the other day on Linux gaming. That's pretty much been my plan for a couple years now.) So iCUE will not be able to run all the time...

Are there any RGB control applications out there for Linux? I have not looked yet, so I figured I'd ask.

The Future is also EvilRGB

I actually do like the look of RGB when done right. So I'd like to add some in the future. (Fans, turn the motherboard rgb back on, etc) But I'd still like it to be turned off at night. Any ideas how I could make it easy to turn off and on? Maybe on a schedule, or a some kind of quick script? Ideally on Linux, but looking at how to do it on Windows would also be good.

End

Um, I did do some searching on this subject. But my search-fu has failed me. I also am not sure this was the best forum to post this in, but I didn't see any that really looked better...

Thanks in advance! And, hopefully, my attempts at clever humor have made my first post somewhat entertaining? o.O

Buys 500$ case, needs 2nd gpu,,

anyways just turn off the PSU, flick the little switch and all lights go off.

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Buys 500$ case, needs 2nd gpu,,

Yeah, that was my thought when I figured out it was the gpu I had planned on using that was bad. Not the motherboard I thought had been dieing for months.... Well, at least I think the old motherboard might be still good, I haven't actually tested it...

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

anyways just turn off the PSU, flick the little switch and all lights go off.

That doesn't work well when you are running processes that need to stay on 24/7, or are just taking days to finish. (Assuming you're referring to the power switch on the power supply, and not some switch on the case/motherboard I can't find.)

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

Mabye turn brightness to 0in icue?

I found that option in iCUE for the case, but the lights still flash when I reboot. :\ So that should be a better setting that relying on the color. Thanks. :)

The H100i appears to have no brightness settings available in iCUE.

Hmm....

I don't know of any RGB programs in Linux, there may be some simple settings in some distro for controlling it. I do know that RGB is still terrible in Linux and most people just save the config in Windows and then have the hardware remember it trhrough boot into Linux. (for example some people do this with RGB mice). I don't think that many RGB systems have flash or whatever type of storage they use for it though.