should i buy my graphics card now or later?

kingblook

long story short, i was planning on getting all my pc parts at the same time to make sure i could return them (if for some reason they didn't work). but right now at best buy, the gtx 1070 is on sale for only $350 usd. i've never seen a gtx 1070 on sale for that cheap and considering it's the most expensive part of my build, i'd like to take advantage of it. but i have no idea when i'll have all the other parts. it could be 3 weeks, it could be 3 months. maybe longer, but i doubt it. either way, it'll definitely be outside of best buy's return period, but if something is wrong with it, nvidia has a 3 year warranty.

so what should i do? buy it now and trust that it will work, and if not, rely on the manufacturer warranty? or suck it up and pay full price and/or hope i see it on sale again so i can buy it with all my other parts?

2 minutes ago, kingblook said:

it'll definitely be outside of best buy's return period, but if something is wrong with it, nvidia has a 3 year warranty.

u can always claim warranty

but having new GPU launches in the horizon... i dont see why you shouldnt wait

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 minutes ago, kingblook said:

long story short, i was planning on getting all my pc parts at the same time to make sure i could return them (if for some reason they didn't work). but right now at best buy, the gtx 1070 is on sale for only $350 usd. i've never seen a gtx 1070 on sale for that cheap and considering it's the most expensive part of my build, i'd like to take advantage of it. but i have no idea when i'll have all the other parts. it could be 3 weeks, it could be 3 months. maybe longer, but i doubt it. either way, it'll definitely be outside of best buy's return period, but if something is wrong with it, nvidia has a 3 year warranty.

so what should i do? buy it now and trust that it will work, and if not, rely on the manufacturer warranty? or suck it up and pay full price and/or hope i see it on sale again so i can buy it with all my other parts?

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

u can always claim warranty

but having new GPU launches in the horizon... i dont see why you shouldnt wait

actually it might be better to buy asap. im not really sure myself. 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-hardware-gpu-pricing-trade-war

1 minute ago, Ragingwasabi said:

ayyy... politics...

well we wouldnt be too sure until new gpu launches anyways

used market would be interesting then (if OP is into used)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

52 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

i'd think that with new gpu releases the prices would go down, but even if they did... i still don't see the gtx 1070 going down to $350. and with that article you linked, sounds like there's a chance they won't go down at all.

51 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

ayyy... politics...

well we wouldnt be too sure until new gpu launches anyways

used market would be interesting then (if OP is into used)

i'm not sure about used ones, i'd maybe consider it but i'm definitely trying to find good deals on new ones first.

i know it's not a huge sale but most 1070s i see are 400-500 dollars and i feel like i should just get it. guess i'm gonna think about it some more.

4 hours ago, kingblook said:

i'd think that with new gpu releases the prices would go down, but even if they did... i still don't see the gtx 1070 going down to $350. and with that article you linked, sounds like there's a chance they won't go down at all.

i'm not sure about used ones, i'd maybe consider it but i'm definitely trying to find good deals on new ones first.

i know it's not a huge sale but most 1070s i see are 400-500 dollars and i feel like i should just get it. guess i'm gonna think about it some more.

Whats with the disdain for used hardware? 

I hooked up a friendo of mine with a 280usd 1070 off ebay.

Just message the seller with more questions than you should, and you should be golden. Can always return, ebay is great on returns. Just a thought. i mean i picked up my 1080ti off ebay a week before christmas during the mining craze for 660usd. just gotta monitor those bids.