budget camera for a long trip

RoNNoR

I'm about to go on a year long trip to south america and would like to buy a camera. I can spend up to ~100$.

I will mostly shot still pictures of landscapes but also some videos, and the camera need to be waterproof.

I saw a lot of action cameras that are affordable but the reviews only talk about videos and not stills.

any recommendations? 

Use your phone. You won’t get any decent camera for 100$, maybe used but thats a big maybe. So use your phone or assign a larger budget. (If you see any camera for less than 100$ its most likley worse than your phone which would mean buying it is a waste of money) 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

14 hours ago, RoNNoR said:

I can spend up to ~100$

You won't get a solid camera for that, not that can handle low light anyway. The kit lens (18-55) would be okay (not great, but okay) but the body, plus battery(s) and memory card(s) will be an issue.

Like Qube said, use your phone if you can, or dramatically increase your budget (300$ opens up a world of options)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Spend the $100 on a couple of micro sd cards, a set of nd filters for your phone, a tripod and a phone mount. Just get a gorillapod or something.

Set your phone to shoot raw+jpg, use your headset's volume keys as a remote and that's it.

Its not the best thing out there by any means, but for stills its much better than you would prbably get with $100.

Other than that, there is some stuff you could do with a well used older camera, but it would need you to be very creative to compensate for the lack of resolution and dynamic range and loads of editing capabilities. It would probably cost significantly more than $100 as well, so just stick with your phone.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/