Hard Drive change in new laptop

chardly

I have a new laptop the is slow. Disk runs at 100% looking up you tube. I have a spare SSD that can replace the HD in the laptop. Can I use the Windows10  product Key after installing a new OS on it.

4 minutes ago, chardly said:

I have a new laptop the is slow. Disk runs at 100% looking up you tube. I have a spare SSD that can replace the HD in the laptop. Can I use the Windows10  product Key after installing a new OS on it.

If Windows 10 is activated now on the machine, then it will activate after you reinstall on the new disk. If there's a key included (probably not), then enter it during setup. Otherwise, just select "I don't have a key", and you'll get activated when you go online the first time.

Just remember to install the right version; it won't stop the machine activating later, but if Windows needs to upgrade/downgrade it adds a lot of extra time to your install process. Easiest to install the right version at the outset.

48 minutes ago, chardly said:

Is the capacity of your SSD similar to or larger than the data amount currently held by your HDD? If the SSD is large enough then a drive clone might be a good option. There are many ways that you could run an SSD in after having the HDD removed although some might have the operating system to be reinstalled. A product key can be sometimes integrated on the computer although if not then you have to manually activate by typing in your product key into the field which requests of you to do so.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch