Atmos soundbar with angled ceiling

Marco2G

Hi

I have angled ceiling above my tv and in thinking how I'm gonna upgrade the setup in the future, I was thinking of a soundbar since I got pretty fed up with my Yamaha receiver. For my noob ass, these things are just too complicated.

Now I want to know do atmos soundbars work with ceilings angled away from them as well or will the sound quality suffer to the point it's a waste?

I kinda think so, as when your ceiling is angled, it would be reflected to a wall, and would probably reach you from the ground. Sounds not very good to me.

You can tilt the soundbar maybe? ;)

I'd have to tilt it backwards but then the sound that's going forward would travel over people's heads...

36 minutes ago, Marco2G said:

I'd have to tilt it backwards but then the sound that's going forward would travel over people's heads...

Your biggest problem will probably just be it being too quiet.  Atmos is pretty amazing with discreet speakers (I have them on the ceiling), I don't have any experience with the soundbar variety, but if the price difference isn't too great I would go for it anyway.

So let's go at this from another angle: I was fed up with running cable to all the speakers in  ye olden 5.1 days... How many speakers does one need for a good atmos setup? Does it still take 5.1 or more speakers at ear level PLUS atmos speakers on the ceiling?

On 08/08/2018 at 11:14 AM, Marco2G said:

So let's go at this from another angle: I was fed up with running cable to all the speakers in  ye olden 5.1 days... How many speakers does one need for a good atmos setup? Does it still take 5.1 or more speakers at ear level PLUS atmos speakers on the ceiling?

In what way is 5.1 old now :P For Atmos I think you'll want at least a 5.1.2 setup adding the height speakers as an additional direction where sound comes from is the whole point of it. I've just started putting together my first 5.1.2 setup, but you have a point about routing all the cables.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 8/8/2018 at 2:14 AM, Marco2G said:

In its most basic form Atmos is 5.1 plus two ceiling channels (right above and left above), often referred to as 5.1.2.  The "above" speakers can be bounced off a ceiling for "mostly" the same effect (I've heard installs where this worked and one where it didn't; the effectiveness is very dependent on room geometry).

As for speaker cables, there are wireless speakers out there...

On 8/13/2018 at 11:53 PM, Blasteque said:

In its most basic form Atmos is 5.1 plus two ceiling channels (right above and left above), often referred to as 5.1.2.  The "above" speakers can be bounced off a ceiling for "mostly" the same effect (I've heard installs where this worked and one where it didn't; the effectiveness is very dependent on room geometry).

As for speaker cables, there are wireless speakers out there...

Unless I get Nikolai Tesla to haunt my appartment, I don't think I'll be able to power the speakers wirelessly... so SOME cables will need to be routed one way or another. Might as well save a penny and not buy wireless then, right?

On 8/16/2018 at 7:20 AM, Marco2G said:

Unless I get Nikolai Tesla to haunt my appartment, I don't think I'll be able to power the speakers wirelessly... so SOME cables will need to be routed one way or another. Might as well save a penny and not buy wireless then, right?

There are wireless speakers with batteries, not that I'm recommending that (I have no idea how long they last), but it is an option.

Truthfully, fishing wire up a wall is not that hard for someone how knows what they're doing (and has the tools).  If you know an electrician, invite them over for a beer and see what they think.  If this is your house and plan on being there a while, it might be worth getting a quote from an electrician for running some wires (it could be as simple as a plate low on the wall that you connect to and a plate high on the wall where the wires come out).  Low voltage usually doesn't require a permit so it might be surprisingly affordable.  An hours work could cost a couple hundred dollars, but if you use it for years, then it might be worth while.

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

What atmos soundbar are you looking at by the way? So, you can get the effect of the atmos, but how big is the room? Have a picture of the room? It will still work because the speakers are still angled.