FPS issue GTX 1070 and 8700K

Thelillypad123

It's hard to understand why this has started to happen all of a sudden because it really never has for me and it is INCREDIBLY annoying. However, my system is not bottlenecked on the cpu side and my cpu does not hit above 90% usage at really high frame rates, so it must be something else. 

My issue is: I can play rainbow six siege between 190-300 fps. Anywhere from 190-240 is smooth as butter and so is 260-300+ and so on. However, as soon as I hit the area of 240-260 the microstutters are unbearable. I have an alienware 240hz so it is not like this microstutter is being caused by the refresh rate of the monitor, or else wouldn't anything above 240hz have the same effect? It is really just truly that one range of fps. I'm going crazy with this one, it is super annoying.

9 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

what about turning vsync on,thus limiting the fraamerate to 240?

Anyone sane that spends money to play at 240Hz will avoid VSync like a plague. 

Using RivaTuner to limit max FPS would be much better. 

25 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

It's hard to understand why this has started to happen all of a sudden because it really never has for me and it is INCREDIBLY annoying. However, my system is not bottlenecked on the cpu side and my cpu does not hit above 90% usage at really high frame rates, so it must be something else. 

My issue is: I can play rainbow six siege between 190-300 fps. Anywhere from 190-240 is smooth as butter and so is 260-300+ and so on. However, as soon as I hit the area of 240-260 the microstutters are unbearable. I have an alienware 240hz so it is not like this microstutter is being caused by the refresh rate of the monitor, or else wouldn't anything above 240hz have the same effect? It is really just truly that one range of fps. I'm going crazy with this one, it is super annoying.

Are you using GSync? 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Anyone sane that spends money to play at 240Hz will avoid VSync like a plague. 

Are you using GSync? 

Yes, I am

26 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

also you could try limiting the fps with a third party program like riva tuner

7 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

Yes, I am

Then if you want GSync to be active you need to be under 240FPS at all timea, otherwise it wont work. 

33 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Then if you want GSync to be active you need to be under 240FPS at all timea, otherwise it wont work. 

I get what you are saying, that the choppiness that im perceiving is the g-sync not working, but I only ask as to why it isnt as choppy above 260? why does it go smooth again all of a sudden. That's my issue.

49 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

I get what you are saying, that the choppiness that im perceiving is the g-sync not working, but I only ask as to why it isnt as choppy above 260? why does it go smooth again all of a sudden. That's my issue.

My guess is that your frametime keeps jumping between GSync ON and OFF state. 

Once you go past the 260FPS you no longer dip low enough to trigger GSync ON.