Control server rack + workstation from another room

I am trying to build a small rack of computers that I would like to place in another room and switch between easily.  They will be a combination of ~6 linux servers and 1-2 windows workstations.  I have seen KVM switches and some stuff that works over cat5 but I don't really understand the right setup.  Ideally I'd have some cheap NUC or some other hub by my work desk that can power 2/3 monitors / keyboard / mouse and have an experience like I am plugged into it directly.  I can handle simply SSHing into the linux servers, that's not a big deal, so a kvm style switch next to my desk is not necessary but would be nice. 

What is the recommended hardware for such a configuration?  I have yet to buy the linux servers so I'd like to know hardware requirements (if any) for any kind of optionality if it matters.  I am trying to build a home setup to run a NAS, VMs, and small hadoop cluster. 

Thank you for any suggestions. 

Bump..  Anyone able to opine?

Can you run it all in vms? That will make it much easier? 

If not id get a network kvm like this guy, but really use rdp for windows systems and ssh for linux. Only use the kvm for install and configuration before remote desktop works.

https://www.amazon.com/Vertiv-Avocent-16-Port-Rackmount-AV3216-001/dp/B01LWOXC83

"have an experience like I am plugged into it directly. "

That's going to be difficult depending on your expectations. SSH/RDP/VNC/guacamole(apache) will go a long way if you're just looking to administrate them, but if you're looking for a desktop-like experience it gets a little expensive and complicated.

IP based KVMs give you a java portal similar to IPMI (or require a custom software) but it's still sending video / keystrokes over IP so things like video playback get a little tricky. 

11 hours ago, Mikensan said:

"have an experience like I am plugged into it directly. "

That's going to be difficult depending on your expectations. SSH/RDP/VNC/guacamole(apache) will go a long way if you're just looking to administrate them, but if you're looking for a desktop-like experience it gets a little expensive and complicated.

IP based KVMs give you a java portal similar to IPMI (or require a custom software) but it's still sending video / keystrokes over IP so things like video playback get a little tricky. 

Well... your only partially right. If he doesn't want any videos/media or anything 3d accelerated (games/etc) he'd be fine

In-fact using the CLI in linux seems to look better when done remotely.

Why dont you do like Linus did? If I recall right, servers output can be accessed via SSH and even IPMI so no graphics need for that. About workstation, you could run a thunderbot set-up to your workstation to your desk. The server controls will be handled by workstation. If you have IPMI you don't even need to get in the room to get the server up and running. Like that you get one cable to run everything ( input+output from workstation and control the server rack)

3 hours ago, Blake said:

Well... your only partially right. If he doesn't want any videos/media or anything 3d accelerated (games/etc) he'd be fine

I think that a workstation is useless for office duty. Wanting to keep it far away it's a sign that he doesn't want to be near due the noise, that means it work heavy load duties. My memory can't find something heavy-duty that doesn't require 3D accelerated. 

Also you might be right, maybe he want to keep the desk minimal. But for that he'll need a second cable to run audio for example, when he gets bored in the silent and want to listen some music or something xD 

12 hours ago, Blake said:

That's pretty much what I said, depends on his expectations. Hence why "administration" would be fine if that is all he intends to do.

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. 

Electronics Wizardy:

Can you run it all in vms?

I can't unfortunately as some of the nodes are for very demanding cpu based workloads even though they are on VMs. 

if you're looking for a desktop-like experience it gets a little expensive and complicated.

Can you elaborate a little on this?  I don't play games but I do on occasion use gpu accelerated graphics in programs similar to autocad.  Frame rates aren't a big deal at all though. 

Blake: 

The servers are going to be mostly linux but I'd like to run one with Windows Server but that can be done with RDP.  Its just nicer not to have to SSH/RDP and just be able to switch around easier with a KVM but that is not that big of a deal. 

KrYpToCiD:

About workstation, you could run a thunderbot set-up to your workstation to your desk. The server controls will be handled by workstation.

That was what I was thinking as my thoughts evolved on this though.

Also you might be right, maybe he want to keep the desk minimal.

Yes... I can handle the noise of one workstation but I think a rack of servers will get very annoying. I'd prefer to have it all in one place though, that's all.  And I would love to have a completely silent setup. 

Thanks again for all the feedback.  I think I am going to do what Linus did in his home setup and just run a thunderbolt hub for the workstation if I decide to put it all in one place.  Otherwise just do everything over ssh / rdp.  Only thing that concerns me is the distance on the thunderbolt cable as those optical cables seem unreliable. Just would have thought that there would be a good KVM style solution for this that handles multiple monitors but from reviews it seems like there isn't.  Thanks again for all the help.  Much appreciated. 

FPS would be the only real issue, it should still be able to render using the graphics card without any issue. 3D rendering in CAD might be a little choppy but not terrible. Things like RemoteFX (terminal services) or whatever it is called now will have better playback.

Although testing it now (Chrome at work > Horizon desktop at home > RDP to physical desktop) I'm playing back youtube without issue over standard RDP so maybe things have changed, can't hurt to try. For shits and giggles decided to launch factorio and it ran. During "intense" moments it (not sure if RDP or Horizon) reduced quality to keep the FPS up. It used to be you got a microsoft driver when connecting over RDP and you could not launch a game for example. Looking at device manager, I see my video card drivers... Something has changed...

This was using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 RDP'ing to Windows 10 Professional 1803.