Looking for oddly specific Nintendo Switch accessory

radmanhs

I am thinking about getting a switch and I'm going to put it on my server rack.  I don't plan on taking it with me often (if almost ever), along with the current setup on my rack I wouldn't be able to easily access the game port on the switch.  So what I'm looking for, which I have yet to find is a game port 'extension'.  Basically just a cable that I can set up next to the switch that functions as a game port, so I can just plug the game in there and it's forwarded to the game slot on the switch itself.  Yes, obviously I can just go digital, but if I can find a device that functions like this I like having physical games when I can.

I guess my description was too confusing, here is a high quality diagram of the cable I'm looking for.

switch_joycon_zelda.0.jpg

1 minute ago, radmanhs said:

I guess my description was too confusing, here is a high quality diagram of the cable I'm looking for.

switch_joycon_zelda.0.jpg

so an SD card reader extension

Wait, are the game cards just sd cards?...

10 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

pretty sure yea

after looking for 5 minutes, switch game cartridges aren't sd cards

10 hours ago, radmanhs said:

They are proprietary SDCards

Anyway, what you are looking for might not be possible because of the high frequency of the operation of those things...

The only other option you have is to get the games in the store and boot them off the internal µSD Card. You can put a 512GIB one in easily.

Problem is: The Internal Memory is the fastest. There were some dudes testing it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I don't think anyone makes anything like this, due to ultra-rarity of this use case. That doesn't mean it's impossible though. My first gut design for something like this would be:

I probably wouldn't worry too much about signal integrity or shielding as long as the wires are roughly the same length.

20 hours ago, radmanhs said:

after looking for 5 minutes, switch game cartridges aren't sd cards

They also don't taste good...

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't think anyone makes anything like this, due to ultra-rarity of this use case. That doesn't mean it's impossible though. My first gut design for something like this would be:

I probably wouldn't worry too much about signal integrity or shielding as long as the wires are roughly the same length.

You can probably just solder an utp cable on the pads between the cartridge slot as an extension or get a cheap game an solder these pins into a new cartridge slot

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

• 4 years later...

dead thread, but a product for this sort of now exists:

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Sung-Switcher-Switching-Adapters/dp/B0B8C1YHZ6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=switch+game+card+reader&qid=1687811208&sr=8-3

I don't use the switch as a handheld at all so am considering 3d printing a custom dock with one of those so that I can basically pretend it's a normal console LOL.