Adding Thunderbolt to Thread ripper build. (Is it Possible?)

Hello, I have a Ryzen Thread ripper workstation. simply put I want to add a PCI thunderbolt card to access thunderbolt raid arrays. we get sent all the time to offload the data.I have a bit of confusion when looking into some cards look like they can only do video? I want full speed. daisy chain capability. the full thunderbolt package. I did see this card which looks like it would work. but I wanted to confirm compatibly with you guys first. https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt 3 AIC    

Here is the system specs:

• Threadripper 1920X
  • ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME
  • Samsung 970 PRO 
  • etc

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

-video-

Yay!! & Awwww  Come on intel ill pay the licence fee myself! 

How did miss that video I thought I watched all his stuff lol 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Unfortunately, Thunderbolt is only available for Intel systems.

Pretty sad really, I'd love to get TB3 on my Ryzen build.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If I can't have it on my rendering workstation. I want TB3 on my fileserver running freenas. I was going to go AMD for that build as well but since I have not ordered anything I can still change it. what would be a good setup for this? x99 x299 which chipsets are compatible with TB3?  I want good performance for this file server as it also serves as a plex server and wants it to last a while before an upgrade. so im willing to spend more

1 hour ago, Mbarton said:

If I can't have it on my rendering workstation. I want TB3 on my fileserver running freenas. I was going to go AMD for that build as well but since I have not ordered anything I can still change it. what would be a good setup for this? x99 x299 which chipsets are compatible with TB3?  I want good performance for this file server as it also serves as a plex server and wants it to last a while before an upgrade. so im willing to spend more

why do you want thunderbolt on a nas? 10gbe and sas should work much better

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why do you want thunderbolt on a nas? 10gbe and sas should work much better

I don't. But the media companies we work with send me 48TB+ raid arrays that only use Thunderbolt. I need a fast way to offload the data so we can start working on it and get them there Thunderbolt enclosure back 

2 minutes ago, Mbarton said:

I don't. But the media companies we work with send me 48TB+ raid arrays that only use Thunderbolt. I need a fast way to offload the data so we can start working on it and get them there Thunderbolt enclosure back 

Probalby just get a x299 board, or get something like a mac mini to work as a system that takes a thunderbolt drive and puts it to the network.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probalby just get a x299 board, or get something like a mac mini to work as a system that takes a thunderbolt drive and puts it to the network.

That's what I was thinking. I think it makes sense to incorporate it into the file server since im building it anyway. it has 10gb and TB3 can do 40gb. but i doubt the raid can do better than 10gb

Are there any workstation/server grade motherboards for x299 this will be a 24/7 fileserver with ECC ram and it needs to be stable with no downtime after deployment

Just now, Mbarton said:

That's what I was thinking. I think it makes sense to incorporate it into the file server since im building it anyway. it has 10gb and TB3 can do 40gb. but i doubt the raid can do better than 10gb

hdd raid will struggle ot get bast 10gbe speeds, so your probably fine there. 

Just now, Mbarton said:

Are there any workstation/server grade motherboards for x299 this will be a 24/7 fileserver with ECC ram and it needs to be stable with no downtime after deployment

well x299 has no support for ecc(officallly)

if you don't mind xeon w you get get a board like this for offical thunderbolt support and a xeon w, you don't seen to need much cpu power, and the xeon w gets you more pcie lanes at a lower price https://www.amazon.com/WS-C422-PRO-SE-Motherboard/dp/B0794D3HBM