CPU overheating

Specs:

MSI B360M GAMING PLUS

i7-8700

SilentiumPC Fera 3

MX-4 paste

Zalman Z1 case with two fans (yes they are in right direction)

I have problem with my new CPU. I had i5-6500 with same cooler and same paste and if I remember right, I never got more than 70C.

When I stress test FPU (AIDA64) on new 8700, I am getting 90C for 15 minutes and then it startsdisabling turbo:

d9d7c5f90a2b17106ab94029bb45ee21.png.f2fb30dc634681b1024b193e62f17e8d.png

Ambient temperature is 30-31C (Because we have hot days  :D)

Temperature of top of cooler 42C (Measured by multimeter, idk his accuracy)

So, is it because of ambient temperature? Or something is not good? Is CPU broken?

I dont want delid! :D

Website programmer & Electrician & PC HW lover!

the room is hot , turn on the AC. i dont expect any machine to perform well in that hot of a room

It's probably the cooler. It may not be sufficient enough to keep it cooler than what's being measured. However I don't consider the AIDA64 stress test a realistic use-case.

As much as I'd like to say it's the ambient temperature, considering that at Anime Expo this year, there was a PC gaming vendor parked outside sponsored by Cooler Master and Square Enix (they were all playing FFXV), so they were using CM parts for cooling. It was also at least 110F outside. I checked it out on the last day just to check it out, and none of the PCs looked like they went out of commission, while still all playing FFXV just fine.

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

the room is hot , turn on the AC. i dont expect any machine to perform well in that hot of a room

Hahahaha AC :D:D Funny. I live in Czech Republic, we don't have that hot here at all, so we dont have AC. BTW its still too much even if is 30C outside

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's probably the cooler. It may not be sufficient enough to keep it cooler than what's being measured. However I don't consider the AIDA64 stress test a realistic use-case.

As much as I'd like to say it's the ambient temperature, considering that at Anime Expo this year, there was a PC gaming vendor parked outside sponsored by Cooler Master and Square Enix (they were all playing FFXV), so they were using CM parts for cooling. It was also at least 110F outside. I checked it out on the last day just to check it out, and none of the PCs looked like they went out of commission, while still all playing FFXV just fine.

Cooler is designed for 180W, even half is 90W what is not TDP of this CPU :D

6 minutes ago, Baterka said:

BTW its still too much even if is 30C outside

no it's not

you need to understand that if the machine only has 31c of air to work with , then it will be worse at keeping the cpu cool. and it's not linear , a hot day can absolutely ruin a cooling systems efficiency. you cannot expect that system or even a water cooled system to work well when the air it's working with is already hot. 

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

no it's not

you need to understand that if the machine only has 31c of air to work with , then it will be worse at keeping the cpu cool. and it's not linear , a hot day can absolutely ruin a cooling systems efficiency. you cannot expect that system or even a water cooled system to work well when the air it's working with is already hot. 

Is this somewhat countable? Because whole facebook community of my country yealling at me that I need do delid or return cpu, cos its broken :D And I am also confused, because temperatures are on 90C when turbo and when turbo disable itself, then cpu have 64C. Also why cooler is onlu 42C? :D

Does the CPU do what you want it to? Stress testing programs are typically extreme and unrealistic. If you can render videos or play games without any major throttling? Then I'd say there is no reason to worry. Though Coffee Lake ran kind of hot anyways. Also air flow is important and positive case pressure. All fans are facing the correct directions and case air flow is good?

13 minutes ago, McCloudX1070 said:

Does the CPU do what you want it to? Stress testing programs are typically extreme and unrealistic. If you can render videos or play games without any major throttling? Then I'd say there is no reason to worry. Though Coffee Lake ran kind of hot anyways. Also air flow is important and positive case pressure. All fans are facing the correct directions and case air flow is good?

Yea but I have arounf 75C when playing PUBG for example... Its not good too... Fans are in right direction

1 hour ago, Baterka said:

Yea but I have arounf 75C when playing PUBG for example... Its not good too... Fans are in right direction

I'd do some searches on average temps with that CPU with your specific cooler. See how close the numbers are but if it's like 85-90F degrees in the room, I agree with other posts, temps will be higher. It's moving hot air across hotter fins. So the temps are not gonna be ideal. 70C-75C for a CPU should be just fine. Again Aida64 is an unrealistic test. If you hit 90C in that, no big deal. As long as the CPU isn't seeing 90C all the time. 80C and under while putting a load on the CPU sounds pretty normal for your room temperature.

3 hours ago, McCloudX1070 said:

I'd do some searches on average temps with that CPU with your specific cooler. See how close the numbers are but if it's like 85-90F degrees in the room, I agree with other posts, temps will be higher. It's moving hot air across hotter fins. So the temps are not gonna be ideal. 70C-75C for a CPU should be just fine. Again Aida64 is an unrealistic test. If you hit 90C in that, no big deal. As long as the CPU isn't seeing 90C all the time. 80C and under while putting a load on the CPU sounds pretty normal for your room temperature.

remount the CPU fan. 90 celcius for a non-overclocked CPU is much too hot. I think you should be around mid 80 degrees at max with stress test. Also, try using prime 95 blend to measure the temp. In all likelihood, it is not the ambient temp. that is causing this.

You may have

1) applied too much thermal compound (pea-sized amount is the proper way)

2) did not seat it properly

3) heatsink is damaged (possibly the heat pipes)

4) the fan is dead

5) combination of all of the above

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

6 hours ago, Srnewbee said:

remount the CPU fan. 90 celcius for a non-overclocked CPU is much too hot. I think you should be around mid 80 degrees at max with stress test. Also, try using prime 95 blend to measure the temp. In all likelihood, it is not the ambient temp. that is causing this.

You may have

1) applied too much thermal compound (pea-sized amount is the proper way)

2) did not seat it properly

3) heatsink is damaged (possibly the heat pipes)

4) the fan is dead

5) combination of all of the above

1) Its possible, I made small X

2) It seats

3) 100% no way

4) Nope

5) Nope :D

Also I found that CPU taking 110W when stress testing! Why? :D Its 65W CPU

15 hours ago, Baterka said:

1) Its possible, I made small X

2) It seats

3) 100% no way

4) Nope

5) Nope :D

Also I found that CPU taking 110W when stress testing! Why? :D Its 65W CPU

If the fan is not broken, just remount it man. And use prime 95 blend stress test

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

On 2018-08-03 at 11:45 PM, Baterka said:

Specs:

MSI B360M GAMING PLUS

i7-8700

SilentiumPC Fera 3

MX-4 paste

Zalman Z1 case with two fans (yes they are in right direction)

I have problem with my new CPU. I had i5-6500 with same cooler and same paste and if I remember right, I never got more than 70C.

When I stress test FPU (AIDA64) on new 8700, I am getting 90C for 15 minutes and then it startsdisabling turbo:

d9d7c5f90a2b17106ab94029bb45ee21.png.f2fb30dc634681b1024b193e62f17e8d.png

Ambient temperature is 30-31C (Because we have hot days  :D)

Temperature of top of cooler 42C (Measured by multimeter, idk his accuracy)

So, is it because of ambient temperature? Or something is not good? Is CPU broken?

I dont want delid! :D

I'm not sure what you mean, if I read the above chart right the lower graph is the CPU load and it does not throttle as there are no dipps in the graph. The CPU load is at 100% in the yellow line and the throttling is the green line at 0%

The top graph just show the temp and the temp is fluctuating, but that is nothing strange and that does not mean it throttles. And if it should throttle it would do it directly and not after 15 minutes. The throttling sets in as soon the temp hits the threshold. Why the sudden change in temps after 15 minutes i'm not sure of though.

And the temp of the CPU and cores is always hotter then the cooler so that is nothing strange either. 90 C with stresstest and with higher then normal ambient temp seems resonable, even with 22-24 C 90 C is nothing strange on the i7 8700. A simple search on this forum reveals that.

The i7 8700 is a known hotbox so high temps is nothing strange at all when stress testing.

On 5. 8. 2018 at 6:15 AM, Mattias Edeslatt said:

I'm not sure what you mean, if I read the above chart right the lower graph is the CPU load and it does not throttle as there are no dipps in the graph. The CPU load is at 100% in the yellow line and the throttling is the green line at 0%

The top graph just show the temp and the temp is fluctuating, but that is nothing strange and that does not mean it throttles. And if it should throttle it would do it directly and not after 15 minutes. The throttling sets in as soon the temp hits the threshold. Why the sudden change in temps after 15 minutes i'm not sure of though.

And the temp of the CPU and cores is always hotter then the cooler so that is nothing strange either. 90 C with stresstest and with higher then normal ambient temp seems resonable, even with 22-24 C 90 C is nothing strange on the i7 8700. A simple search on this forum reveals that.

The i7 8700 is a known hotbox so high temps is nothing strange at all when stress testing.

"...and that does not mean it throttles"

It not "throttles"...

"Why the sudden change in temps after 15 minutes i'm not sure of though."

It disabling Turbo.. Its the spikes in temps when Turbo is disabled for few seconds after temps go above 90C.

"The i7 8700 is a known hotbox so high temps is nothing strange at all when stress testing."

So even 60C when watching youtube 4k video or 80C when gaming is not strange? Better case then Z1, or better air cooler will not help?

On 5. 8. 2018 at 4:31 AM, Srnewbee said:

If the fan is not broken, just remount it man. And use prime 95 blend stress test

84C max in 28C room for 10 minutes

5 minutes ago, Baterka said:

What is your temperature when you do a video editing?

I don't trust these stress test software because they put unrealistic load onto your CPU that none of the real world app do. 

1 minute ago, DaPhuc said:

What is your temperature when you do a video editing?

I don't trust these stress test software because they put unrealistic load onto your CPU that none of the real world app do. 

Youtube 4k60FPS video playback 54C max (45-50C AVG)

1090p Premiere lightweight editing 65C max (50C AVG)

PUBG gaming max 80C (75C AVG)

1 hour ago, Baterka said:

10 minutes is not enough. You should report the temps after 30 minutes. (contrary to putative notion, I don't think 2 hours is really necessary since your cooler is a regular heatsink not a AIO. Therefore, 30 minutes should be good.) If your temps plateau at 84C max then it is golden!

29 minutes ago, Srnewbee said:

10 minutes is not enough. You should report the temps after 30 minutes. (contrary to putative notion, I don't think 2 hours is really necessary since your cooler is a regular heatsink not a AIO. Therefore, 30 minutes should be good.) If your temps plateau at 84C max then it is golden!

For an air cooler 30 min is overkill. They reach saturation much much faster than water. He should get to 95% of the equilibrium point with in a 1 min. With in 5 he should be less than 1% away from it.

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

For an air cooler 30 min is overkill. They reach saturation much much faster than water. He should get to 95% of the equilibrium point with in a 1 min. With in 5 he should be less than 1% away from it.

Really? 5 minutes to hit the max temp? I think u r sooo wrong bro. When i was on air, took me at least 20minutes to max out my temp. It continued to climb well after the 5 minute mark.

1 hour ago, Srnewbee said:

Really? 5 minutes to hit the max temp? I think u r sooo wrong bro. When i was on air, took me at least 20minutes to max out my temp. It continued to climb well after the 5 minute mark.

Sounds like bad air flow. Or really cheap cooler with high mass and low surface area. 

i agree with the air flow. how many fans do you have installed? also my room gets hot quick, so i turn on the ac and it really does help. esp in summer.

back in high school i used to work in the server room, and it constantly had to be cold cuz of all thr heat the computers were pushing out

20 hours ago, Baterka said:

"...and that does not mean it throttles"

It not "throttles"...

"Why the sudden change in temps after 15 minutes i'm not sure of though."

It disabling Turbo.. Its the spikes in temps when Turbo is disabled for few seconds after temps go above 90C.

"The i7 8700 is a known hotbox so high temps is nothing strange at all when stress testing."

So even 60C when watching youtube 4k video or 80C when gaming is not strange? Better case then Z1, or better air cooler will not help?

Thanks for explaining... now I understand the graph better xD

Anyhow the temp must raise to hit the limit for the turbo to start flickering, the turbo haven't to my knowledge a time limit  before it starts tho throttle, it is the temp that should determine when the turbo starts to scale down. So why it doesn't happen before 15 minutes i cant explain.

According to Intels specs for the i7 8700k is 100 C the max temp, the same for i7 9700 non k. But I can't find what temp the Turbo starts to throttle.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz

Here are some more reading on the subject from  Techreport of this hot processor.

https://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake

Try running whit your case open, if the airflow in the case is the problem the temps should be lower. You can try to put a fan to blow into the case from the side to, to se if that helps.

516WX8EsEoL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

For devices with premium cooling solutions, microprocessors with Turbo Boost support and TVB support enabled, the processor can automatically increase the clock frequency by up to an additional 200 MHz if the TCASE is at 50°C or lower and turbo power budget is available. Though unlikely to be sustainable and will drop once the temperature threshold is exceeded, for highly bursty workloads (such as what impacts the user experience the most), the performance increase can be fairly significant.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/thermal_velocity_boost

This content piece aims to explain how Turbo Boost works on Intel’s i7-8700K, 8600K, and other Coffee Lake CPUs. This primarily sets forth to highlight what “Multi-Core Enhancement” is, and why you may want to leave it off when using a CPU without overclocking.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k