Hot Card best solution?

DemonGoD

My 1080 Gtx from msi duke version that has 3 fans on it. It was running close to 90c while gaming I changed my exhaust fan on the rear of my case to blow full blast and it dropped but only to about 84-85C  while I game and after playing for an hour or so the air coming out the back of my case is very hot the top panel is also very hot .  This panel is removable and i can install fans in 2 spots on the top of the case if i remove it.  Do you think this will be sufficient to cool my card under 100% load ?  Would it make more sense to take the fans off the GPU and install a closed loop radiator in this open case spot instead? If not would 1 fan be fine or should i use 2? 

check the gpu fan curve and manually set the gpu fan to lock at 100% , sounds more like the 3 fans on your card probably have a crappy curve setting that allow the gpu to run hot to avoid noise. (noise never bothers me so idk why people choose to do this)

Well that would be great if it was that easy ill just install the msi software and set it to max and see what happens awesome thanks!

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

noise never bothers me so idk why people choose to do this

People who actually have mics :D

jk, streamers, youtubers, etc who have their pc close to their desk = vibrations in desk

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

The keys on my chroma click so loud i doubt they would hear a fan over that + you cant hear it with a headset on. Kind of odd that these cards don't default to full blast until they are stupidly hot, especially ones that are OCed out of the box. At least there is a option to test that doesn't require me to buy anything.  

Get an AIO.

Get an NZXT G12 bracket.

Pop them together and problem solved.

hi.

what case? you can't put that card in one of those cases that have 0 air intake

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

What case do you have? Could be choking the card. Could also be bad paste or low fan speed on the card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This case https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353105 but without a window the airflow in it is not so good due to the door i guess i could just tape it open since it doesn't stay open or take it off and see if that helps.  

card for reference: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084&cm_re=1080-_-14-137-084-_-Product

check the fan curve of your card and make sure the fans are running at a decent speed, if that doesnt work crank up your case fan speed or get more fans. your case also may be restricting airflow a bit. you could also try replacing the thermal paste for better quality stuff

44 minutes ago, DemonGoD said:

This case https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353105 but without a window the airflow in it is not so good due to the door i guess i could just tape it open since it doesn't stay open or take it off and see if that helps.  

card for reference: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084&cm_re=1080-_-14-137-084-_-Product

yeah the card is choking

take off that door and that weird filter, also the top cover

edit: you could try to remove that "sound dampening" thing on side panels and top as it's acting as it's preventing the heat from transfering to the metal (insulation) same with the PSU cover

remember if you want top performance then you can't have looks

if you have 2 front fans as intake + 2 top fans as exhausts you're done hopefully card will stay under 80C

XV68bji.png

made in ms paint

and remove the rear fan and put it on top of the case, both fans on top would be better, keep the side panel as it'll help control the airflow

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Yea that's about what i thought. Airflow had never really been an issue for me with previous cases but after my kid kicked the previous computer where the  front intake mesh was  breaking it and both fans intake fans I thought having a door would be good protection for that and didn't think the air would be this big of an issue.  

Hmm the fan curve did drop is 2C over an hour I only got 83C I took off the dust cover and opened the door it did do something but only put dropped to 82C and I could still feel heat on top of the case not what I expected ill try opening the top and installing the extra fan I have in that slot and see how it does tomorrow . To me it physically feels like it needs to get the heat out but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

Solved installed 2 more fans on top opened up the top now it never goes above 71C. Looks like common sense prevails I could feel the heat in that part of my case I gave it somewhere to go and voila problem solved.