Can you get this for free?

Helpme123

I have a old WIndows 7 PC and im planning to build a new one. The thing is, can I use the windows 7 product key to for windows 10. Am i able to get WIndows 10 for free?

You can use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to download and install Windows 10 for free, but I'm not sure if you can still use older keys to activate it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

if you use the upgrade tool on the windows site it will still give you a key however i still recommend backing up the files in case you want to revert to win 7

i tested this with a pc earlier this week

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You can use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to download and install Windows 10 for free, but I'm not sure if you can still use older keys to activate it.

You can, I nick them off dead prebuilts all the time

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Yes and no. In theory, you can upgrade your device from Windows 7 to 10 for free (still). If you go ahead an update your old pc to win 10, everything should work out fine. However, if I recall correctly, some keys (the ones that are not digitally linked to your microsoft account) are linked to your hardware ID. Now if you decide to change out your hardware, well not entirely certain that it'll work. Worst case scenario, call up microsoft and have them reactivate you for free.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

While using that Windows 7 license, if you ever had installed the "Get Windows 10" app (which it did via Windows Update), then you license is reserved to upgrade to Windows 10 for free at anytime you want. That is the legal way.