Is it worth to buy a 165hz monitor? will it be fine to play FPS games on a 60hz monitor?

EdenAb

Im interested in buying a new monitor and play FPS games, is it worth it to buy 165hz monitor? or should i stay with my 60hz one?

My pc specs for those who are wondering if my pc can even run games at 100+ fps:  gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb 3200mhz ram, I7 8700K.

Thanks!

I have a GTX 980 and i have a 144Hz monitor, it's so nice, I recommend it.

I wouldn't expect the 1060 to get you anything over 144FPS, so a 144Hz display should do.

hi.

I recommend it as well, 120/144/165hz is really nice for FPS games. Really gives you an edge

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

I have an rx 480 (similar to your 1060) with a 144HZ monitor, holy crap it's good.

It's worth it! And in most games it shouldn't be too difficult. I don't play many AAA games but anything else, easily 100+ fps.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I get headaches if I play at 60 Hz now, and even the 15 Hz jump to 75Hz makes a difference. 120 Hz or higher is definitely the way to go.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Will it be fine to play at 60 Hz?  Yeah, a lot of people do it.  Hell, a lot of people even do it at 30, but that doesn't mean it's a good experience :P  If you do upgrade, I'm sure you'll love it and never go back.  You should be able to get 165 fps in older titles or newer ones with graphics settings reduced but you're not gonna be able to push that in high or ultra by any means with a 1060 so keep that in mind.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm used to 60Hz, 144Hz is amazing I tried it long time ago once (I have GTX 970).

Going back to 60 after that felt slower but I got used to it again. Your PC can handle most games, if you're talking FPS like CS:GO for 144Hz monitor then it can handle it easily.

For newer titles, it can still run. If it's unstable then just lock it to 60. I've not seen a game that runs sluggish on a 1060 6GB (thus far, like below 30).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

35 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Will it be fine to play at 60 Hz?  Yeah, a lot of people do it.  Hell, a lot of people even do it at 30, but that doesn't mean it's a good experience :P  If you do upgrade, I'm sure you'll love it and never go back.  You should be able to get 165 fps in older titles or newer ones with graphics settings reduced but you're not gonna be able to push that in high or ultra by any means with a 1060 so keep that in mind.

im going to upgrade in a year or so to a GTX 1080 TI... so ill be fine, THANKS for replying!

53 minutes ago, EdenAb said:

im going to upgrade in a year or so to a GTX 1080 TI...

Woah, in that case 144Hz is almost nothing then....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold