Windows motherboard bound?

Kurography

Hey guys ^^

So tomorrow I will finally be getting all my parts for my new PC build; except for the storage because I intend to use my old PC´s storage (where Windows is installed and activated). Now to my question:

Do you guys know whether or not the Windows activation key is bound to my old PC´s motherboard or if I´m able to just plug my old HDD into my new PC and run it? And if the key is mobo bound, is it enough if I just buy a key and activate the already installed Windows?

Thank you for all the answers :D

1 hour ago, Kurography said:

Hey guys ^^

So tomorrow I will finally be getting all my parts for my new PC build; except for the storage because I intend to use my old PC´s storage (where Windows is installed and activated). Now to my question:

Do you guys know whether or not the Windows activation key is bound to my old PC´s motherboard or if I´m able to just plug my old HDD into my new PC and run it? And if the key is mobo bound, is it enough if I just buy a key and activate the already installed Windows?

Thank you for all the answers :D

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/85-windows/

Here you can find many answers to the same question.

Every day someone asks for that. :) And nobody uses search.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/85-windows/

Here you can find many answers to the same question.

Every day someone asks for that. :) And nobody uses search.

Not everyone new to the forum knows where to go, so they ask here. If all new members did this, then this forum would be useless for people looking to help out. You also seem to be spamming that section of the forum.

The Windows key is tied to your storage drive where Windows is installed.

Note: When using a storage device with Windows on another motherboard, there is a chance that the key may not be valid.

hi.

I'm just thinking that someone can stick one post at the top of this section with answers to some basic questions, so people can focus on resolving different, not so common problems with Windows.

I really like to help people, but after write many times the same answers, it begins just a little annoying.

Spamming? By answering questions and trying to help? LOL!

Almost every forum has rules and one of them is that users should search first, then write posts. Apparently this is different.

I noticed that my help is not welcome here, so bb everyone and good day.

better reinstall Windows for the sake of stability. When I used another PC's boot drive on mine, the taskbar and file explorer doesnt show up and I have to use cmd to get even the most basic thing done.

I didnt need to reactivate my Win10 after changing the mobo (and CPU) either. I just install a fresh copy of Windows directly on the old boot drive with Windows (win10 home specifically) without formatting it. It automatically activated itself and I dont have to touch anything.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

33 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I'm just thinking that someone can stick one post at the top of this section with answers to some basic questions, so people can focus on resolving different, not so common problems with Windows.

I really like to help people, but after write many times the same answers, it begins just a little annoying.

Spamming? By answering questions and trying to help? LOL!

Almost every forum has rules and one of them is that users should search first, then write posts. Apparently this is different.

I noticed that my help is not welcome here, so bb everyone and good day.

Sorry but nobody forced you to click on my question :/

Just say it was a replacement motherboard. They have to honor it. In some jurisdictions; only the case counts as the computer and not the hardware inside it.