Ubuntu Server Setup

Ok, I am sitting here, with a older HP Compaq 6305 Pro SFF with the purpose of making it into a server type appliance. I have messed around with different ideas for operating systems, and I haven't really figured out anything to use. It originally came with Windows 10, but of course after hooking it into my network, (hardwired ethernet), I became aware that it wasn't being seen by my other computer. I then went to online and try and find out what the problem could be. Turns out, that some older computers, after being upgraded to Windows 10, won't be seen on the network from other computers. I have realized that I have always liked Ubuntu, because of the price, and because its easily installed in just about any setup you can find, and uses less resources on a computer. So the next part of my topic is plainly, how do I create a computer using Ubuntu server install that I can use to maybe install a simple wordpress server, and along side, allow for system backups from my main computer. FreeNAS was an option but it requires to much memory for something that I am not needing mass amounts of speed, or want to invest that much in. 

FreeNAS doesn't actually require that much memory (1GB/1TB is a misconception). More IS better depending on the workload but it'll run fine off 4 or 8GB for a small file server. Put as many TB of storage in it as you want. You will need more & more cores if you want to run a Windows VM.

Not OP but thanks for clarifying that. I was never sure how firm of a rule that was. I have no experience with freenas but would like to set up a box at some point. 

7 minutes ago, Granular said:

How to install LAMP stack for Wordpress natively.

Alternatively install Docker and pull a Wordpress container, but be aware of the peculiarities of containers.

As for backup, I personally like Borg.

Setting wordpress up manually via LAMP is a lot easier and more reliable than Docker I've found. There's so much to Docker you need to fully understand before you can even run and restart a container and maintain it properly and peculiarities like that. I'm currently working on Docker in Windows Server 2016 and it's been a pain in the neck.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 8/2/2018 at 8:38 AM, NelizMastr said:

Setting wordpress up manually via LAMP is a lot easier and more reliable than Docker I've found. There's so much to Docker you need to fully understand before you can even run and restart a container and maintain it properly and peculiarities like that. I'm currently working on Docker in Windows Server 2016 and it's been a pain in the neck.

And doing it manual will teach you a lot more about the LAMP stack than doing it with Docker too.

Since in the end you will run in to a issue or something will break. And when that happens its easier to diagnose since you know what you did to set it up in the first place. 

Yes it will probably take some time to set it up, but it will likely save you some in the end.  

Hello!