Define R6/ZOTAC AMP Extreme 1080 ti furnace

Lanius

Hello! I've been wracking my brain and scraping at the walls of the Internet this whole week and I need to settle before I lose my mind.

I'm making a R7 2700x build with a Noctua NH-D15. I know I went for one heck of a furnace of a card in the ZOTAC AMP Extreme 1080 ti but it's coming on Friday and I would rather complete this build this coming week.

My idea so far is:

CPU: NH-D15 (leave the stock fans on there)

Front: x3 120mm NF-A12x25

Rear: x1 140mm NF-A14

I would rather keep the top on, but that's not always a given. I do NOT have the entire thing in front of me and of course my mileage will vary, but I am calling upon the brilliant minds here to see if there's been a close enough comparison or personal experience to be close to what I'm about to get in to. I have used the search function but not seen much close to this, and other sites devolve into "why not water" situations. I am NOT using an AIO. This will be air only. Should 1 exhaust be okay, or should I cram another in/yank PCI slot covers to allow a better throughput?

The ideal setup would have 3x120 in the front, 3x120 on the top, and 1x140 on the back. The cooler on the Zotac is pretty good at keeping the gpu itself cool, but it does release a lot of ambient heat. Since your gpu is going to be right beneath your air cooled cpu, heat rises and well, your cpu might get a little toasty. Putting a couple of fans on the top, even with the top closed, will help draw some of the hot air out. A single 140mm is likely not going to be enough under load. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

I like the undervolt idea :P

I was afraid that I was asking for the moon just running air. Would I be better off going for a Full case to alleviate some of the compression when it comes to all those hot components, or would I be better off biting the bullet on some AIO?

4 minutes ago, Lanius said:

I like the undervolt idea :P

I was afraid that I was asking for the moon just running air. Would I be better off going for a Full case to alleviate some of the compression when it comes to all those hot components, or would I be better off biting the bullet on some AIO?

I'm running a GTX 1080 in a shoebox of a case (Core 500). Even in 30 degree ambients, it's not breaking 64 degrees. Just undervolt it.