Build Choices and Time

Hello,

I am preparing to order a custom build (or if convinced I will do it, but mostly I want things I am uncertain I could do myself like hardline water cooling and such), but I have some questions I wanted answered about it especially around certain parts, and figuring out some things. I will be answering the questions given in the sticky to help.

1. Budget & Location

I am located in the US, West Coast Specifically. Budget: 10k~ (This is to give room for a custom order)

2. Aim

High End Gaming, Streaming, and Light Video Editing, audio editing, livestreaming, and audio recording. 

3. Monitors

I prefer a three monitor set up. I want to do one 4k, one with a high refresh rate (doesn't need to be 4k), and one that can be for anything. I tend to use monitor arms to suspend the monitors rather than use their usual bases.

4. Peripherals

I am going to be purchasing a new Keyboard, mouse, and a couple of things like a macro board, speakers, headphones, and a new microphone.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am planning to use my current build as a guest computer/in the home server device. Its mostly to avoid the old tower I have, that had been annoying me, and some small hardware issues that have become an issue.

The main question I have is which CPU company I should be looking into, and see as the build would be going on after September, should I consider waiting around for a time before looking into a build like this?

I have been curious if SLI Graphics cards have value for a build like this. Thanks for your time.

SLI is still alive, same with crossfire, but they are quickly falling out or favor to the point there is little reason to use it.

If you are investing heavily into the build id recommend waiting untill april next year if you can. Then you can pick ul Ryzen 7nm. Either that, or get a 2700x now and swap it for an top if the line Ryzen CPU in april.

Edit: or get the new threadripper 2 coming out. Thats about the best CPU money can buy, though im pretty shure you dont need all the threads

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

SLI is still alive, same with crossfire, but they are quickly falling out or favor to the point there is little reason to use it.

If you are investing heavily into the build id recommend waiting untill april next year if you can. Then you can pick ul Ryzen 7nm. Either that, or get a 2700x now and swap it for an top if the line Ryzen CPU in april.

So, I'll be clear I've never used a non-intel cpu before. So I've been hesitant, and I am considering using Origin for the Custom Build for their upgrade plan. April is a bit of a way out, but not too bad.

So with the current market trends, AMD CPUs are generally superior in the use cases I am looking for?

30 minutes ago, SlayerRequiem said:

So, I'll be clear I've never used a non-intel cpu before. So I've been hesitant, and I am considering using Origin for the Custom Build for their upgrade plan. April is a bit of a way out, but not too bad.

So with the current market trends, AMD CPUs are generally superior in the use cases I am looking for?

It's a little behind in 1080p gaming, but excels everywhere else. I don't expect you to be doing 1080p gaming with a 10K budget?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

It's a little behind in 1080p gaming, but excels everywhere else. I don't expect you to be doing 1080p gaming with a 10K budget?

So, to be clear, based on the implication here: AMD CPUs are better at 4k gaming then?

I feel like I should know this stuff, but I want to make best choice, sorry if I seem to be picking at everything told to me.

14 minutes ago, SlayerRequiem said:

So, to be clear, based on the implication here: AMD CPUs are better at 4k gaming then?

I feel like I should know this stuff, but I want to make best choice, sorry if I seem to be picking at everything told to me.

4K gaming isnt CPU bound. AMD and intel perform identically

16 minutes ago, SlayerRequiem said:

Identical. I should add the clause of "in everything is identical or better"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

Identical. I should add the clause of "in everything is identical or better"

I see. So...

SLI wouldn't really serve me, and currently, AMD CPUs are doing better. good information. thank you.

53 minutes ago, SlayerRequiem said:

Logg king at you usecases an AMD CPU would be better.

If you dont want to wait, an threadripper 2990x 32 core 64 thread CPU will be out soon. It will satisfy any multithreaded workload. At the mear cost of 1800$.

Though a 2700x now and upgrade to an 3000 series Ryzen later ks also a good option, imo the better option

10 minutes ago, SlayerRequiem said:

I see. So...

SLI wouldn't really serve me, and currently, AMD CPUs are doing better. good information. thank you.

At 1080p intel is doing better in gaming. And videoediting in premiere intel is ahead in lower core count CPUs due ti their iGPU. Though any other vudeoediting software AMDs threads will shread anything gou throw at it

Edit: high core count AMD also do negate the intel advantage in premiere a bit at the cost of higher power consumption