What even is clocking :P

R click
Go to solution Solved by daddrian,

Overclock - force things to work faster.

Examples:

GPU overclock is when you increase core clock from 775MHz to 900MHz (force GPU to work a faster 125MHz on graphics, so higher FPS) , or when you increase memory clock from 1100MHz to 1200MHz (force GPU to transfer graphics to memory at a higher speed).

CPU overclock is when you increase CPU frequency like from 3.5GHz to 4.1GHz.

Overclock is when you aren't pleased with the component and you want more performance out of it. But overclocking also comes with a risk if you don't know what you're doing.

I see a lot of people talking about overclocking and underclocking and all those fancy words :P can someone explain to me what is going on and what do they mean :D just a newbie here :)

Think of overclocking as having your engine in your car rev past its factory redline. It gets hotter, uses more gas, and can sometimes be dangerous, but it usually runs faster and has more power.

On the other hand, underclocking (never heard of it, maybe you mean undervolting?), is like lowering the factory redline of your car. It gets better gas mileage and runs cooler, but has less power and is less fast.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Overclocking is the process of going over the stock multiplier (or clock speed) of the CPU, in an effort to gain more performance from the CPU.

By overclocking, the CPU is able to handle more instructions-per-cycle (IPC) based on the speed it is overclocked to.

For example, a stock i5-8600K is set to 3.6GHz, we can overclock this to 4.4GHz by going into UEFI and adjusting the multiplier to 44. This enables the CPU to execute more cycles per clock, hence overclocking.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

11 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Think of overclocking as having your engine in your car rev past its factory redline. It gets hotter, uses more gas, and can sometimes be dangerous, but it usually runs faster and has more power.

On the other hand, underclocking (never heard of it, maybe you mean undervolting?), is like lowering the factory redline of your car. It gets better gas mileage and runs cooler, but has less power and is less fast.

thanks for the explanation man 

11 hours ago, seoz said:

Overclocking is the process of going over the stock multiplier (or clock speed) of the CPU, in an effort to gain more performance from the CPU.

By overclocking, the CPU is able to handle more instructions-per-cycle (IPC) based on the speed it is overclocked to.

For example, a stock i5-8600K is set to 3.6GHz, we can overclock this to 4.4GHz by going into UEFI and adjusting the multiplier to 44. This enables the CPU to execute more cycles per clock, hence overclocking.

that helped a lot thanks!

Your computers speed is tied to clock rate, the rate of a small clock in your pc. 

But what defines time? Who says what a second is? 
International Organization for Standardization, that's who. In order to overclock your PC, you need to call them (+41-22-749-0111) and tell them you want to overclock your pc and give them your mac address (ipconfig should tell you.) From there, they will make time faster your your pc. Of course, time is time, but they're simply changing how long your pc's clock thinks a second is, therefore making it run faster.
Note that in the 80s in 90s, this was actually done manually by swiss watchmakers if you didn't have internet, and was very expensive for a service call and plane ticket for said watch makers. They aren't watches, but clocks in pcs are very small, and they're the only ones qualified to adjust them manually. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

Your computers speed is tied to clock rate. 

What what defines time? Who says what a second is? 
International Organization for Standardization, that's who. In order to overclock your PC, you need to call them (+41-22-749-0111) and tell them you want to overclock your pc and give them your mac address (ipconfig should tell you.) From there, they will make time be faster your your pc. Of course, time is time, but they're simply changing how long your pc's clock thinks a second is, therefore making it run faster.
Note that in the 80s in 90s, this was actually done manually by swiss watchmakers if you didn't have internet, and was very expensive for a service call and plane ticket for said watch makers. They aren't watches, but clocks in pcs are very small, and they're the only ones qualified to adjust them manually. 

thanks for the trolls

17 hours ago, seoz said:

One small correction here. It doesn't increase the IPC. The IPC is fixed to the architecture of your CPU.

Instead it just increases the C (clock) of IPC, which in turn increases the I (instructions).

More instructions means more work done.

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

One small correction here. It doesn't increase the IPC. The IPC is fixed to the architecture of your CPU.

Instead it just increases the C (clock) of IPC, which in turn increases the I (instructions).

More instructions means more work done.

so it handles more instructions without slowing down u mean

Overclock - force things to work faster.

Examples:

GPU overclock is when you increase core clock from 775MHz to 900MHz (force GPU to work a faster 125MHz on graphics, so higher FPS) , or when you increase memory clock from 1100MHz to 1200MHz (force GPU to transfer graphics to memory at a higher speed).

CPU overclock is when you increase CPU frequency like from 3.5GHz to 4.1GHz.

Overclock is when you aren't pleased with the component and you want more performance out of it. But overclocking also comes with a risk if you don't know what you're doing.