Windows Install

PartyDJ

Sooo today I assembled everything (I dont have the CPU and ram, but other than that I have everything). Before we begin " I know that u should first try everything out and preinstall things like CPU and ram, but I did it this way, so dont comment that. I know its a mistake, but I will rage over it, not u, so pls just dont mind what I did. Please". Anyway, I was wondering if I can install windows on my HDD even tough I dont have a CPU or ram? Like I have a working Laptop and can I somehow connect it to my laptop and install windows on there? 

12 minutes ago, PartyDJ said:

Sooo today I assembled everything (I dont have the CPU and ram, but other than that I have everything). Before we begin " I know that u should first try everything out and preinstall things like CPU and ram, but I did it this way, so dont comment that. I know its a mistake, but I will rage over it, not u, so pls just dont mind what I did. Please". Anyway, I was wondering if I can install windows on my HDD even tough I dont have a CPU or ram? Like I have a working Laptop and can I somehow connect it to my laptop and install windows on there? 

No it won't work, Windows will detect the hardware during setup and configure itself to the hardware it detects.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

No it won't work, Windows will detect the hardware during setup and configure itself to the hardware it detects.

Oh :(

No.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, PartyDJ said:

You'll just hear beeping sound (from the buzzer), you need to complete the PC first then install Windows.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

3 hours ago, PartyDJ said:

(...) I was wondering if I can install windows on my HDD even tough I dont have a CPU or ram? Like I have a working Laptop and can I somehow connect it to my laptop and install windows on there? 

Simple answer - yes, you can. You'll save some time when your computer parts arrives.

Of course you must plug your HDD (I assume that you have 3,5") somehow to your laptop sata - but it's possible if you have cable like this one:

sataextension.jpg

And even better if you have separate PSU for your hard drive, if it's 3,5". But you're asking is it possible, so I answer you - yes, it's possible, just not so easy. :)

Better option is to buy SSD for your system. It's standard now and it's waste of money if you buy new computer parts and don't buy SSD.

In any case, if you move your SSD/HDD with installed win10 into your new computer, it will work.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

license transfer issues. don't actually do this. (or at least don't enter the key untill the SSD is in the PC you want it to be in)

I don't say anything about license. I assume that PartyDJ wants to save some time. He may enter serial number later.

We don't know version of windows (it may be box version). Also - even OEM version, if registered with Microsoft account, can be moved.

BTW. I already did it few days ago. Did you try to do that at least once? :)

I've heard the opposite for system integrator's licenses most of the time ._.

And that was true most of the time not so long ago. :)

Until Anniversary Update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

also I'm trying to be clear while OP's reading, in case of any beginner missteps. especially with @Master Disaster's earlier comment on that exact procedure

There is difference between "no it won't work" and "I think it won't work" which should be used in that case. Based on my (and not only) experience, win10 really can be moved and can recognize new hardware during first boot without any problem.

I'm also wrote that I made this few days ago (moved from 3rd gen i5 to 8th gen i7) and that was not the only time I moved Windows. So I asked you about your experience.

27 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And that was true most of the time not so long ago. :)

Until Anniversary Update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

There is difference between "no it won't work" and "I think it won't work" which should be used in that case. Based on my (and not only) experience, win10 really can be moved and can recognize new hardware during first boot without any problem.

I'm also wrote that I made this few days ago (moved from 3rd gen i5 to 8th gen i7) and that was not the only time I moved Windows. So I asked you about your experience.

That is completely true however what is the point on installing a new systems install on another computer then moving and risking the potential for instability or errors occuring?

It's generally easier to tell people it doesn't work than explaining it kind of does but runs the risk of not working correctly at the end of the process.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

That is completely true however what is the point on installing a new systems install on another computer then moving and risking the potential for instability or errors occuring?

It's generally easier to tell people it doesn't work than explaining it kind of does but runs the risk of not working correctly at the end of the process.

That "potentially instability" is a myth. The same instability may be if you install wrong drivers on your system etc.

I know systems that was moved many times and has long list of ghosted devices. And still working without any crashes for years.

It may be easier, right, but it's also not true. Is better to tell people what is possible, even if is not easier - they get more experience (or have more fun) and learn something about operating system. Fresh install is what they always can do.

I also understand PartyDJ - I remember when I first time installed win7 64bit. I was so unpatient so I installed it on some HDD earlier, setup everything, testing everything and later, when my motherboard, new SSD and everything come - I only moved my win7 into SSD, plug everything and after small tuning I was be able to testing software and games instead of configuring Windows. :) And that Windows I was used for 4 or 5 years without reinstall or any fixes (except when I broke something by myself). ;) Patience is what someone has and someone don't. :)

Rare moment when I agree with @homeap5 on Windows installing.

Yes, you can do it on laptop with adapter. Just don't enter key. Win10 will reconfigure drivers pretty well, and you might even be able to do it with older Windows as they have basic PnP drivers coming from core. It would be much easier with Linux.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv