Need a 4-pin fan connector but my PSU doesn't have one. What should I do?

Hey LTT fam,

The issue is in the title. I have a new PSU (Thermaltake TR2 430W) which I'd honestly rather not replace that has no fan header. What do y'all think I should do? I'm about to go to bed so I will respond to your responses in like 8-10 hours.

Thanks in advance!

yb4

16 minutes ago, yb4zombeez said:

The issue is in the title. I have a new PSU (Thermaltake TR2 430W) which I'd honestly rather not replace that has no fan header. 

You willingly bought a Thermaltake TR2 new? Return it and get a decent unit. Oh wait, you opened it up to discover that, like literally every other PSU on the market, it has a 2-pin connection. RIP warranty.

That PSU is pretty crap. A Corsair CX450M would be a good replacement unit that's relatively quiet and is not worthy of a trashcan.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

TR is a crap PSU. Exchange it for a Corsair CXM (2015)

Anyhow, to answer your question, PSUs do not power the fans (unless fans are powered via molex). Four pin fan headers are located on your motherboard labeled “system fan”. They will usually have four pins, though some have three. It will still work if you plug the four pin fan into a three pin header. You just lose PWM control.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

41 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You willingly bought a Thermaltake TR2 new? Return it and get a decent unit. Oh wait, you opened it up to discover that, like literally every other PSU on the market, it has a 2-pin connection. RIP warranty.

That PSU is pretty crap. A Corsair CX450M would be a good replacement unit that's relatively quiet and is not worthy of a trashcan.

I got it from my local micro center for $25 refurbed. For $5 more I could get a significantly better one. Yeah, I'll do that. Thanks for the feedback.

And no, I'm not in bed yet. Sleep's not a word in my vocabulary.