Oven baking pcb's

Why is baking a graphics card called a temporary fix ? Since under any load the temps never reach the melting point

I don't suggest baking any electronics. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, aki adaki said:

I don't suggest baking any electronics. 

Mmm. Fresh baked 480s, just like Motherboard used to make.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Mmm. Fresh baked 480s, just like Motherboard used to make.

The nostalgia. I'm hungry for some chips now, thanks. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I've never used an oven for it, but if you have an appropriate solder rework station with a hot air gun you can apply some flux and reflow the appropriate components.  If you know what you're doing, you might be able to locate which component is the most likely culprit and just reflow that one without destroying the rest of the board.

Oven-baking is 'temporary' because it's not an actual fix.  It's killing a fly on the window with a hammer and hoping you don't break the window to let more flies in.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

To add, when doing so, you have fumes, which we know nothing about, and you don't want that in your food next time you use your oven to cook (fumes can stick to oven wall, crevices, and oven tray and can reflow next time you heat up the oven). We have no idea on all potential chemical fumes that comes out, which can differ between manufactures due to use of different materials used and manufcature process, including, but not limited to: led based solder.

5 hours ago, The321 said:

Why is baking a graphics card called a temporary fix ? Since under any load the temps never reach the melting point

The "baking your GPU" thing started around 2008, when nvidia GPU's had a defect in the bumps on the GPU die and GPU's died en masse. The case has been called "nvidia bumpgate" if you want to google it to learn more.

So, while the problem was actually inside the GPU, many ppl think that it is the solder connections between the GPU and the PCB that fail, and baking the card in the oven reflows and fixes the solder joints.

That's not the case. Baking the GPU temporarily "fixes" the bump problem deep inside the GPU but after a while the problem returns.