HDD to choose

Gitesh

I want to buy hdd for my pc I'm confused to choose from wd or seagate.

I have heard about hdd greater than 1tb always get crash after year or two.

so i am not confidence to get 1tb drive or 2tb drive.

Plz give suggestion.

Edited by Gitesh

I assume you mean HDD and no, 1TB drives and above don't suddenly die around 2 years old because they have a higher capacity. It has to do with platters. Older 1TB drives had multiple platters to reach a higher capacity while newer drives achieve 1TB on one easy. Aka the less moving parts the less that can go wrong.

The only real downside to a large hard drive is if something were to happen and you didn't back it up. This issue goes for all storage regardless of it being mechanical or flash based.

Seagate vs WD is mostly down to personal preference. Just make sure you're getting a drive for what you're looking for.

For regular desktop use you probably want Western Digital Blue or Seagate Barracuda. (Black or Firecuda if you need a performance drive, but I don't know personally if these are worth the extra cost.)

For a NAS or high throughput RAID setup you probably want WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf.

For surveillance systems or other 24/7 payloads you probably want WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk.

I'm rooting for WD team.

Less failures from what I've handled so far.

Hello Gitesh,

BarraCuda Pro and FireCuda give you 5yrs of warranty, in case anything happens before this period ends will be covered by us. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the drives...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming