Hybrid vs open air at the same price point

lostredneck

It seems like the GPU market is still trying to stabilize after the boom from cryptocurrenty mining. Right now I can buy a EVGA GeForce 1080ti FTW Hybrid Gaming for $20 less that I can buy a EVGA GeForce 1080 ti FTW gaming. They both have the same clock speeds out of the box although I plan to overclock whatever I get.

I know that a blower style shroud is good for pulling hot air out of a case and lowering the internal temp but the GPU suffers, and open air is preferable in that cases and AIO+blower helps get the GPU down the open air temps or a little less in those tighter cases but is there a benefit to open air if it costs more? Usually the drawback to hybrid is it's cost. 

There aren’t any benefits to open air. Especially compared to a hybrid or a blower in a small space. Get the hybrid. Unless you want the simplest looks and sacrifice a few things then get the open air. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

What kind of case do you have?/What does your build look like?

If I were you, I'd probably base my decision on that.

To be honest, though, I think the card with the open-air style cooler is better in most, but not all cases...

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I didn't quite read your post closely enough, as I thought you wanted to discuss blower-style vs open-air cooler.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

My case is a Fractal Design Define R6, I'm already going with a 360mm aio in it so the lines are already not going to be a clean as going with a hard line custom loop or fill air cooling

25 minutes ago, lostredneck said:

It seems like the GPU market is still trying to stabilize after the boom from cryptocurrenty mining. Right now I can buy a EVGA GeForce 1080ti FTW Hybrid Gaming for $20 less that I can buy a EVGA GeForce 1080 ti FTW gaming. They both have the same clock speeds out of the box although I plan to overclock whatever I get.

I know that a blower style shroud is good for pulling hot air out of a case and lowering the internal temp but the GPU suffers, and open air is preferable in that cases and AIO+blower helps get the GPU down the open air temps or a little less in those tighter cases but is there a benefit to open air if it costs more? Usually the drawback to hybrid is it's cost. 

EVGA uses pretty average PCBs and power delivery for their boards, so don't expect extreme OCs with the board anyways. As for the choice between the two, it ultimately depends on the case (how much space you have, if it can accommodate a 120 radiator easily near the GPU) and on personal preference. With the hybrid version, you'll probably have better temps, so quite a more silent PC even under load. Plus, it has a dedicated heatsink for VRMs and there's a copper plate on top of the memory to spread the heat to the GPU block, which is neat

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04