Need some advice, should i repair my current PC or buy/build a new one?

Hi Folks,

I need some advice as I'm not very sure on what I should do as current PC has some issue.

My current PC main components are the followings,

Motherboard: MSI MPower Z87

GPU: 2x GTX 780ti SLI (Custom water cooled)

CPU: Intel 4770k (Custom water cooled)

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Avexir RAM

Recently, my GPU was overheating at 90 degree even when I'm not using it, so I bought it to a local shop for diagnostic and was quoted USD550 to change some of the water cooling parts as they were faulty

I've this PC for slightly more than 4 years already.. So I'm not sure should I repair or buy/build a new one?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

I would try to flush the system myself and try to repair it, apply new thermal paste etc. It's still a pretty capable rig.

I agree with frozeNNN, your system s still very capable (if your income doesn't depend on the performance of it).

You just have to spend a weekend to flash the loop and wash the water block, that should slove your overheating problem.

Go check out JayTwoCent 's video, he got some water loop maintenance video that should guild you through the process.

Here's the thing, the CPU water block is leaking & the GPU water pump is not working (it's an EK Pump reservoir combo) so I have to change a water block,water pump and water reservoir as I dont have much knowledge in water cooling so I figured it was the best if I send it to a shop for servicing.

I'm just not sure should i repair it because it was more than 4 years already and anytime now other parts might gets faulty too... 

44 minutes ago, SebVolturi said:

Did you not keep the original air coolers for the GPUs?

Your CPU is still find for gaming just replace it's cooler with some $25 120mm air cooler, probably just replace the GPUs with a Vega 56 or 1070ti if you want a current higher end GPU. If your display is only 1080p just buy like an RX 580 with a better display instead of the higher end GPU.

Though next Gen GPUs are supposed to come out next month.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would mostly agree with @Streetguru, As your PC hardware is still capable I would suggest some options for you.

Option A

1. Remove the complete watercooling, get a good AIR cooler and overclock gently the 4yr old CPU.

2. Get the stock GPU fans back on the GPUs and you are all set

Option B

1. Remove the complete watercooling, get a something like Corsair H series or NZXT Kraken AIO for the CPU.

2. Get the stock GPU fans back on the GPUs and you are all set

Option C (I would have done this)

1. Remove the complete watercooling, get a something like Corsair H series or NZXT Kraken AIO for the CPU.

2. Sell the existing cards and get a single GTX 1070 TI or GTX 1080 (choosing the GPU upto you) and all set.

Option C is my preferred because I would not ask to change the CPU-Mobo-RAM as it wouldn't give you any huge framerate boost in your games. With the new GPU and the existing CPU setup there would be very negligible or I would say that a synthetic difference. THere will be no real-life difference in geting a new PC.

And modern games do not scale much with the SLI system, for an example you would not gain much with 2x 1070 vs single 1080 TI