fiber optic router

Skiman10000

i am going to be getting fiber optic internet service in my house. the speed that the ISP is bring in is 30Mbps. The ISP is telling me i need a new router to hook up the cable to the router. I have a Netgear WNRD 3300. i am wondering if i really need to get a new router and if i do could you guys suggest a good one. one other thing am i going to need a modem to go alone with the router.thank you guys.

>It's got gigabit Ethernet and 802.11n

why on earth do they say you need a new router for a 30Mbps connection?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

thats what i am trying to tell my dad. hes i not very techy lol

Tell him the ISP wants to sell him an overpriced shitty router he doesn't need so they can make money off him every month with the extra lease fee. He'll understand that much.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Wait, what? You get fiber, but only 30Mbps? What's the point of getting fiber? You can get those speeds on ADSL (with some decent infrastructure) and on COAX you can get 4x that speed.

I live in New Hampshire, Comcast here is running at 15 to 25 Mbps but the speed goes up and down with network usage. most of the time when i run a speed test i am getting 20Mbps. with fiber i will be getting a consistent 30 Mbps. in fact the ISP the we are getting the fiber from guarantees a consistent 30 Mbps.

The modem that they provide will probably have a regular ethernet jack on it which you can just plug into your routers WAN port so there probably is no need for additional hardware.

I live in New Hampshire, Comcast here is running at 15 to 25 Mbps but the speed goes up and down with network usage. most of the time when i run a speed test i am getting 20Mbps. with fiber i will be getting a consistent 30 Mbps. in fact the ISP the we are getting the fiber from guarantees a consistent 30 Mbps.
That is the same thing as they said with ADSL. As the backbone can't handle the peak speeds, then you won't have any benefit.

If you currently use ADSL or cable, you will need a new modem, not a new router (unless he got it mixed up). Because a normal ADSL or cable modem can't take the light from fiber and turn it into a signal, you need a fiber modem to receive and convert that.

​I'm assuming you dad meant modem In that case, they're right, you will need one.

And if I got this mixed up, and he really meant router, then no, he doesn't need a new one.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Wait, what? You get fiber, but only 30Mbps? What's the point of getting fiber? You can get those speeds on ADSL (with some decent infrastructure) and on COAX you can get 4x that speed.
It's not Google Fiber, Verizon claims to use 100% Fiber Optics with their FiOS internet service. The max you can get is 300Mbps Down, 65Mbsp Up, but it's pretty expensive ($130 for 150/65). I'm not sure who else uses it, but I'm sure there are other ISP's that do. I live in an apartment complex in Florida, and I can only get Brighthouse. They have 60 down for $87 a month, so when a big company like Verizon throws around fancy words like fiber optic network you can expect it to be expensive.

What I suggest to you, is take the modem you get from your ISP, I currently have Fiber to my new condo unit, in which the fiber runs directly to my comms panel in my unit. in which it's goes to a fire to copper switching unit it which it separates the the phone line signal and the internet line and then a CAT5E cable runs from that to my modem. Then the techs hard wired my internet CCT to a phone drop near my comp it while it put in a dual CAT 5 phone line drop and then I have a CAT 6 running to my router. My plan is rated from 23-25 down and 2-3 up and I get those speeds all the time. So for your set up your will not need any special type of router just and standard one will do your if your IPS supplies a modem router combo that would do well when dealing with those speeds.