Hackers reverse engineer Wii U GamePad to stream from PC

skylarmb

Looks like the WiiU will be a hit Afterall!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Wonder what uses PC gamers will have for the "tablet" controller, or the pro controller.

Well you have PC gamer that got Nvidia Shield or interested in it. Also, they are many gamers, including myself, that play many games with the XBox 360 controller. Please remember that not all PC gamers are hardcore FPS players.

I think it's pretty cool this hack. Now people get to enjoy Nintendo's games, and play they PC games on the couch. The screen is bigger than the Nvidia Shield, and I don't know the panel, but it's not a TN panel, so it has great viewing angle. It's hard to tell due to the resistive touch screen which plays with the colors. I think it's a VA panel, as I don't see any IPS glow, but it's hard to get a full black screen to really know, there is a minor contrast shift, but again it's hard to say if it's a because of the resistive touch screen layer on top, or some budget IPS panel of sorts. In any case, it's a good display, and I see nothing that bugs my gaming experience.

If you have a basic TV setup, (cable/satellite/IP receiver + TV) the built-in TV remote feature is really cool, and funny enough it's more response then my cable receiver remote. I don't have to fight with it. I addition, the TV remote is built-in, in the WiiU gamepad. The WiiU console might completely unpluged and it will still work. Would be really cool to see that hacked to support more complex home setup. And now you have this awesome universal remote, which you can access any time, even in a mid game session on the WiiU or in this thread, PC game. (It's a over layers, like Steam game overlay, or you on screen menu on your monitor), really cool.

Thats pretty awesome.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Nintendo will not like this.

But I think it's pretty awesome.

Signatures are stupid.

Why not?

They have always been open with emulators. As long as you purchased the game, they don't care if you play it on the the game console or the PC. Nintendo believes, that if a game is really good, you'll be glad to buy it, and not opt for pirating.

As you can't get the gamepad separately, and they are no third party vendors, it's double win for Nintendo. you get to buy a WiiU, which brings money to Nintendo, and advertisement (ie: you have a WiiU, you get to show your friends that you have one.. who knows you might get Smash brothers or Mario Kart or something and play with your friends).

AWESOME!!!!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

if these guys get this working like 99% and i was nintendo i would be dropping the price of the wii if possible and make sure these game pads are only available with a wii u

Just a guy with a beard

Nah, the WiiU sales have picked up nicely in Q4.

The 50$ drop and a full AAA game was the secret to boost sales.

The Wii was the only console that didn't have a AAA game included, and it worked because it really showcased the console abilities and was really fun. I think Nintendo tried to repeat that, but it didn't work.

WiiU won't win any 1st place medals this generation, but expect most people to have it as their second console. So Nintendo will still be in amazing shape, as they make money on the console and their games never drop in price.

Why not?

They have always been open with emulators. As long as you purchased the game, they don't care if you play it on the the game console or the PC. Nintendo believes, that if a game is really good, you'll be glad to buy it, and not opt for pirating.

No not really, read this page http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom%C2'> up to the part that says "Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?")

I doubt Nintendo will do anything about the Wii U gamepad since there are PC Wii emulators you can play with 2 lit candles beneath your screen and every person I know uses their PSP as an emulator, but I don't think they're gun-ho for anymore than another company that doesn't like their software being pirated even if you own the game. Still, this is a pretty awesome hack and I'd use the gamepad over a Shield.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

If you reads the wording carefully, you'll see that Nintendo only state the law.

Nintendo lawyers won't allow, even you were the CEO of the company and wanted that, to right that we allow it. Because you never know what idea a person an have to take advantage of that opening.

Now I am not defending Nintendo, just commenting on the wording, and so far, Nintendo never took anyone to court at least not recently, except 1 person for distributing online a leaked version of the game before it was released. And they are not releasing desist and desist orders to emulators, even those distributed on Windows 8 App Store or what not.

This is a pretty neat thing to use it as and attracts people to buy the Wii U if it really works. Wonder if it can be also used as a remote desktop to stream videos and browse the internet.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

• 3 weeks later...

, but I don't think they're gun-ho for anymore than another company that doesn't like their software being pirated even if you own the game. Still, this is a pretty awesome hack and I'd use the gamepad over a Shield.

but then its not piracy really. Just you own the game

Well I've just got another reason to buy a WiiU.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball