Help Turning Xbox 360 Slim into HTPC

I have an xbox 360 laying around that i mostly use for watching movies. I really want to turn it into an HTPC, and have a bunch of extra hard drives to do so, but I can't find out how to do it. I think I want some sort of linux running on it, but I'm not sure. I really just want an os that looks nice, and will let me watch netflix and youtube without having an xbox live account. I know I won't be able to play games, but I really just wanna set up a home theater around this machine. I don't want to get replies like "It's not worth it, just buy a cheap pc or laptop" or "The power consumption is too high for it to be worth anything". Just ideas or tutorials please. Thank you in advance.

Ubuntu is a fantastic linux os that has so much support 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Ubuntu is a fantastic linux os that has so much support 

The question is, How do i get it on an xbox 360? the architecture of the cpu is far different from a pc, and would make it near impossible to put a non custom os on it.

my friend bought a 2tb 860 evo for his xbox 1 x... that ssd costs more than the xbox.

just wipe the hard drive and put linux on it and see if it boots.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

remove hard drive?

what do you mean by that?

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

my friend bought a 2tb 860 evo for his xbox 1 x... that ssd costs more than the xbox.

I dont think it will work that way. Ill try it, but the architecture is really different from any pc cpu

You can try following these instructions, but the link to the ISO seems to be dead; you can try installing gentoo with this link though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

You can try following these instructions, but the link to the ISO seems to be dead; you can try installing gentoo with this link though.

finally, someone who actually helped...

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Just now, Rev Games said:

I dont think it will work that way. Ill try it, but the architecture is really different from any pc cpu

I guarantee you it won't work.

@Firewrath9@Br3tt96 maybe refrain from posting if you don't know the answer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Oh dear, oh dear...

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it.

I have to agree with @Sauron on that...

An XBox One is NOT a PC; it is a console and should be treated as such.

While it is possible to replace the Harddrive, it is a pain in the Butt, you need a bunch of stuff.

The easiest way might be to copy the Entire Harddisk (for example with Linux).

Since the One uses NTFS, you can move the Partition and resize the main partition afterwards...

But still, not as easy as PS4 and PS3 (not 12GiB Super Slim): 
Old one out, new one in, USB Stick with the New Install Firmware update on USB Stick and the rest is following the instructions.

With the 12GiG Super Slim, you should get the HDD Cage for like 5€ on eBay and then you just mount the HDD in and it works.

For the X360 you either need an original 360 Harddrive or a Software that does hack the Firmware of the Drive, check the compatibility list and get one of the drives on that list, use the HDDHackr Programm and insert the Disk to the 360 (you might or might not want to get a HDD Case)...

Besides that, the X360 (and PS3) is pretty garbage as a Media Player. There is a recode Software for PC, that lets you recode MKV on the fly to something the PS3/X360 understands...

The XBox One/PS4 is better, but still pretty shitty as they can play MKV but have both their issues with Subtitles.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

From my understanding, any of those xbox 360 htpc projects out there are using a gutted xbox 360 cases and replacing with small form factor pc parts?

3 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

From my understanding, any of those xbox 360 htpc projects out there are using a gutted xbox 360 cases and replacing with small form factor pc parts?

No, some are based on a hacked 360 with custom Firmware.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, some are based on a hacked 360 with custom Firmware.

ah i see.

What operating systems have people managed to put on the 360?