Would like to build a ryzen mini pc!! Need advice?

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
23 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

You do have a good point, but im just really interested in this stuff 

The embedded APUs are generally not very powerful and may not even do things like support windows, best to stick to desktop stuff for performance

or buy a laptop motherboard off ebay with an R5 2500U built in

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Swift-SF315-41-Motherboard-BK5EA-MB-RE-2-0-W-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500u-TESTED/202365703253?epid=11019377136&hash=item2f1def9455%3Ag%3ANmYAAOSwn8pa-Zpa%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!92020!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Ryzen+5+2500U&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Hi i have been doing some research on how i would go about making my own ryzen mini pc(like completely my own).

I did see this:

And this got me thinking...

Why don't i make my own mini pc and brand..

I know what this is going to cost me and im completely fine with it and some guidance would be very helpful! 

I want to be able to make a cost effective solution for mid to low end gamers but i have no where to start and i know i could just make a pc and sell that but i want to make something special

EX: like the alienware alpha. 

1 minute ago, TrueCanadian said:

Don't bother

just build an ITX Ryzen APU PC or something, in one of the really tiny IN WIN cases that come with 250W PSUs, well there was one that had a bigger PSU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84N93953&cm_re=IN_WIN_ITX-_-14G-0047-00002-_-Product

Unless of course you had a million dollars to make AMD NUCs, in which case hire me

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Don't bother

just build an ITX Ryzen APU PC or something, in one of the really tiny IN WIN cases that come with 250W PSUs, well there was one that had a bigger PSU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84N93953&cm_re=IN_WIN_ITX-_-14G-0047-00002-_-Product

Unless of course you had a million dollars to make AMD NUCs, in which case hire me

Well there's something, i had no idea that inwin made those types of cases. i dont really follow any cases. 

6 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

gamers but i have no where to start and i know i could just make a pc and sell that but i want to make something special

Learn engineering, electronics, computer science, hardware programming, and DIY modding. Then you'll know how to do it.

Just now, MaxBunny said:

Learn engineering, electronics, computer science, hardware programming, and DIY modding. Then you'll know how to do it.

23 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

The embedded APUs are generally not very powerful and may not even do things like support windows, best to stick to desktop stuff for performance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Swift-SF315-41-Motherboard-BK5EA-MB-RE-2-0-W-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500u-TESTED/202365703253?epid=11019377136&hash=item2f1def9455%3Ag%3ANmYAAOSwn8pa-Zpa%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!92020!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=Ryzen+5+2500U&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Ah ok that does make more sense now, i appreciate your help and you helped me make an informed decision now :)

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

quick question about that. Looks like a cool project but how would you add power? I imagine there's a separate board for that? other than that where are the ram slots for that thing? tia!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

8 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

quick question about that. Looks like a cool project but how would you add power? I imagine there's a separate board for that? other than that where are the ram slots for that thing? tia!

RAM is soldered on I think

You'd just buy a universal laptop power brick, probably 90W just to be safe. Or buy a replacement for that laptop, but the universal one is probably more useful if it fits.

Spoiler

RAM is soldered on I think

You'd just buy a universal laptop power brick, probably 90W just to be safe. Or buy a replacement for that laptop, but the universal one is probably more useful if it fits.

I just couldn't see where the power adapter plugs in ^^

But doing a quick cost calculation it's not much cheaper than a cheap desktop mobo and a desktop r5 2500U unfortunately.

I've been thinking about building a powerful mini itx for some time but if you wanna go for about 300W with a pico psu the dell power brick (only one I know for that Wattage) makes it super inefficient cost-wise. Why is that thing twice the price of a decent psu lol.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

I just couldn't see where the power adapter plugs in ^^

But doing a quick cost calculation it's not much cheaper than a cheap desktop mobo and a desktop r5 2500U unfortunately.

I've been thinking about building a powerful mini itx for some time but if you wanna go for about 300W with a pico psu the dell power brick (only one I know for that Wattage) makes it super inefficient cost-wise. Why is that thing twice the price of a decent psu lol.

Small Volume production, high cost for components.

an R3 2200G desktop PC will run like $400

Spoiler

Small Volume production, high cost for components.

an R3 2200G desktop PC will run like $400

yea unless you want it to be miniITX there are only 100+$ boards for AM4 unfortunately :/ 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

yea unless you want it to be miniITX there are only 100+$ boards for AM4 unfortunately :/ 

That's pretty much all decent ITX boards, same deal with the pico PSUs

Spoiler