Which PSU should I get for a build with an i7-8700K & GTX 1080 - FR

Go to solution Solved by LienusLateTips,
Just now, Toude Linux said:

Is having a modular PSU useful? In which cases is it useful?

It can be easier to do cable management. You don't have the cables you don't need dangling around in your case either, increasing airflow.

Usually I recommend semi-modular, unless you want custom braided cables.

1 minute ago, Toude Linux said:

I've read the 2 main threads about PSU on this forum (the one with the tier and the one with the woltage). Are the PSU you've advised me well conceived? Do they power all the components correctly.

Hahaha, I sometimes contribute to that thread.

All the PSUs are part of Tier 2, except for the last, and most expensive one, which is part of Tier 1.

2 minutes ago, Toude Linux said:

Also you say 450W is enough (which I'm perfectly ok with) but is 100W for all other components enough. And will it still be if I wish to do some overclocking (light) or if I change like my GPU for a newer one in a few years?

I accounted overclocking into those calculations.

GPUs are using less and less power overtime. You'll be fine (unless you buy a AMD card that uses 600W)

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the middle of choosing my parts but I just can't quite figure out which PSU I should get. My build will include an i7-8700K and a gtx1080. IN addition to that I intend to use the h100i v2 as AIO and a few HDDs and SSD.

Do you have any advice on what would suit me best. I'd like to keep the PSU's budget under 80€ if possible. Do note that I prefer it to be well suited and pay  a little more than having something that won't suffice.

I don't have a preferred retailer I issue most of my commands through internet. As long as it works well I choose the cheapest, I have no brand preference.

Hopefully you'll be able to help me.

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the middle of choosing my parts but I just can't quite figure out which PSU I should get. My build will include an i7-8700K and a gtx1080. IN addition to that I intend to use the h100i v2 as AIO and a few HDDs and SSD.

Do you have any advice on what would suit me best. I'd like to keep the PSU's budget under 80€ if possible. Do note that I prefer it to be well suited and pay  a little more than having something that won't suffice.

I don't have a preferred retailer I issue most of my commands through internet. As long as it works well I choose the cheapest, I have no brand preference.

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate going to be?

Is it not worth saving money with something like an R5 2600 over the 8700K?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

It's not actually for me but for a friend who doesn't speaks English. He's got his mind set on the i7-8700K and I'm helping him find a PSU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Is 450 or even 500W enough? I have no experience in PSUs but according to forums I read this seems pretty sketchy to me according to the build we're talking about.

Is 450 or even 500W enough? I have no experience in PSUs but according to forums I read this seems pretty sketchy to me according to the build we're talking about.

i7 8700K? Maybe 150W at most. Likely more in the 100W range.

GTX 1080? 200W.

It's fine.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Also what does modularity do? Not quite sure to understand and wouldn't want to make a mistake here.

Also what does modularity do? Not quite sure to understand and wouldn't want to make a mistake here.

So non-modular is when you have all the cables, even the optional ones, fixed to the PSU.

Semi-modular/modular is when you have the cables you WILL need, like 24pin motherboard and 8pin EPS/CPU fixed to the motherboard.

Fully modular is when every single cable is able to be detached.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Is having a modular PSU useful? In which cases is it useful? I've read the 2 main threads about PSU on this forum (the one with the tier and the one with the woltage). Are the PSU you've advised me well conceived? Do they power all the components correctly. Also you say 450W is enough (which I'm perfectly ok with) but is 100W for all other components enough. And will it still be if I wish to do some overclocking (light) or if I change like my GPU for a newer one in a few years?

Btw thanks for your quick answers, really apreciated!

Is having a modular PSU useful? In which cases is it useful?

It can be easier to do cable management. You don't have the cables you don't need dangling around in your case either, increasing airflow.

Usually I recommend semi-modular, unless you want custom braided cables.

I've read the 2 main threads about PSU on this forum (the one with the tier and the one with the woltage). Are the PSU you've advised me well conceived? Do they power all the components correctly.

Hahaha, I sometimes contribute to that thread.

All the PSUs are part of Tier 2, except for the last, and most expensive one, which is part of Tier 1.

2 minutes ago, Toude Linux said:

Also you say 450W is enough (which I'm perfectly ok with) but is 100W for all other components enough. And will it still be if I wish to do some overclocking (light) or if I change like my GPU for a newer one in a few years?

I accounted overclocking into those calculations.

GPUs are using less and less power overtime. You'll be fine (unless you buy a AMD card that uses 600W)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Well thank you very much for all those advices. I'll still look around a bit more just in case. Your quickly given advices were really great! Thank you very much!I might still ask you a few more things but you've settled a lot of unanswered questions.

Have a good evening/morning/whatever.

35 minutes ago, Toude Linux said:

It's not actually for me but for a friend who doesn't speaks English. He's got his mind set on the i7-8700K and I'm helping him find a PSU.

Probably any decent 650W gold rated unit from like seasonic/corsair/EVGA/XFX

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Ho well you guys don't seem to agree on the voltage. Could explain me the reasons for your choice?

@Streetguru@LienusLateTips

If you mean the wattage, you can never have enough of it.

The 650W units are usually just the best for the money in that PSU range.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Toude Linux said:

if you use the pcpartpicker website and put all the pieces for your build into a parts list, it will give you an estimated watt usage for the whole build, which gives you a decent gauge to give you an idea for a pcu. I'd suggest a minimum 80+ Gold efficiency. i found an evga 650w 80+ Gold for $50. however, if your pc takes more than that, it may be difficult to find a cheao 80+ Gold psu. there's nothing wrong with anyting lower than 80+ Gold, all it means is that you'll get the best cheap solution for power.

Thanks for your answer. I'm wondering though, when I entered all my parts un PCpartpicker it gave me something under 400W and now you advise me something of 650W. I'm not sure to understand?

4 hours ago, Toude Linux said:

Thanks for your answer. I'm wondering though, when I entered all my parts un PCpartpicker it gave me something under 400W and now you advise me something of 650W. I'm not sure to understand?

450w is plenty, 550w if you want "muh headroom", 650w+ is just dumb...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen