Win10 Display driver failed to start, PC reset

Go to solution Solved by Mucanius,

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

How old is this gpu? Have you had the opportunity to test it in another machine, or the chance to test a different gpu in the same machine?

It sounds like the gpu may have had an untimely demise. Slow degradation like this is rare for a gpu, but not unheard of. If you can definitely narrow down the cause to the gpu (rather than, say, a bad psu or motherboard, by testing it in a different machine), then you may want to look into your warranty options.

If warranty is out of the question, you may wish to try re-flashing the vBios of the card in case something happened to the cards firmware. 

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

System specs please? How old is the PC? And I want to know especially the make, model and age of the PSU specifically. And yes, the GPU is also a likely suspect.

System was built in february 2014 
Specs: i5 4660 3.4GHz, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, MSI H87i, Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II 3GB (bought early 2015), Corsair CX650M (originally had a 600W corsair PSU, which was replaced about 1,5 years ago due to failure), 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Unfortunately I doN't have the opportunity to test this card in another pc, I've completely removed all drivers and reinstalled them again. I'll start testing. Problem usually occurs during/after gaming session or heavy dual screen work. temps, usage, clock speed, power seems alright. 

About a month ago my PC started to randomly restart and I couldn't dig up anything from the crash logs, except Kernel Power 41 Critical Error which doesn't really help in this case. In the past 2 to 3 weeks the problem became more frequent, now tied with the display driver failed to start notification, right around the crashes which happen so: about a second long audio stutter, screen freezes, I hear the notification sound. The system seemingly continues to run, as I can still hear that I the games/movies are running. Sometimes my PC even refuses to start after such crash.  As of now I've removed my video card which eliminated all problems so far. 

I've seen other people discussing similar problems but their solutions did nothing. I've tried reverting to older drivers, updating to new ones but nothing really helped. 

How old is this gpu? Have you had the opportunity to test it in another machine, or the chance to test a different gpu in the same machine?

It sounds like the gpu may have had an untimely demise. Slow degradation like this is rare for a gpu, but not unheard of. If you can definitely narrow down the cause to the gpu (rather than, say, a bad psu or motherboard, by testing it in a different machine), then you may want to look into your warranty options.

If warranty is out of the question, you may wish to try re-flashing the vBios of the card in case something happened to the cards firmware. 

System specs please? How old is the PC? And I want to know especially the make, model and age of the PSU specifically. And yes, the GPU is also a likely suspect.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

System was built in february 2014 
Specs: i5 4660 3.4GHz, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, MSI H87i, Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II 3GB (bought early 2015), Corsair CX650M (originally had a 600W corsair PSU, which was replaced about 1,5 years ago due to failure), 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Unfortunately I doN't have the opportunity to test this card in another pc, I've completely removed all drivers and reinstalled them again. I'll start testing. Problem usually occurs during/after gaming session or heavy dual screen work. temps, usage, clock speed, power seems alright.