[SOLVED] USB drive is write protected after linux boot iso

Voylinslife

Backup stuff from the drive before doing anything else! (assuming you hadn't already). There is a very high probability that a failure occured that has/will kill the device entirely.

Drives can write protect themselves in event of failure so as to allow for recovery of data.

One drive I had that did this and eventually I was able to format it, only to have it die entirely a couple days later. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Backup stuff from the drive before doing anything else! (assuming you hadn't already).There is a very high probability that a failure occured. 

Drives can write protect themselves in event of failure so as to allow for recovery of data.

there is nothing of value on the drive ^^"
I just want to be able to use it again

2 minutes ago, Voylinslife said:

there is nothing of value on the drive ^^"
I just want to be able to use it again

Was pretty sure I was able to use the command line to force my drive to format. However, as I said, it did not live long afterward. Drives that write protect themselves out of the blue do so for a reason. I'd probably just write it off and pick up another (or RMA if under warranty), tbh.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Was pretty sure I was able to use the command line to force my drive to format. However, as I said, it did not live long afterward. Drives that write protect themselves out of the blue do so for a reason. I'd probably just write it off and pick up another (or RMA if under warranty), tbh.

no it really has to do with installing Arch, I tried it with another usb and this usb is unable to format as well because it is read only

So here is what I think is happening.

While installing Arch, the usb becomes read only but changes everything so it becomes unreadable for windows (I think) but now the files are stuck on there in read only mode with no chance of getting removed and making my usb drives useable again :/

For the people with the same issue.

Startup a linux os and install gparted. Create a new partition table on the usb and format it in fat format, not ext4. This solves the issue.

I also discovered why I was having this issue, when I installed Arch with these usb sticks I forgot to unmount them before plugging out the usb which made the files and maps stuck in read-only mode ^^" luckily gparted could fix it

--- SOLVED BY MYSELF :D ---