How clean linux boot options?

Go to solution Solved by Willowwizard,

Boot into Linux, install a piece of software called efibootmgr (this may or may not be already included in your system), efibootmgr is software that allows you to manipulate the boot variables stored on your UEFI.

Once you have it installed, open a terminal and just run the command without any arguments to list your boot entries.

(Sidenote: This requires root, so I'm going to add sudo to every command I list here, if you're in a root terminal you can omit sudo)

sudo efibootmgr

Running this command should give you an output similar to this

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 2 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0004
Boot0000* antergos_grub
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
Boot0003* UEFI:Removable Device
Boot0004* UEFI:Network Device

This is a list of the boot entries stored in your UEFI. If you want to remove, say, Boot0001 (in my case, Windows Boot Manager), run this command

sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -B

The -b flag will select your boot number, in this case it's Boot0001, and the -B flag will delete the boot entry.

Note that it's case sensitive, -b must be lowercase and -B must be uppercase.

Be sure to re-run sudo efibootmgr to list the boot entries again after you modify the boot entries, the numbers for your boot order may have changed after you delete a boot entry.

as you can see from the included picture, I have 8 boot options. that is not really a problem. but I don't have CentOS nor Manjaro on my system anymore, how can i remove those? I know that I better don't mess this up by just trying to fix it as this is my main system ?

IMG_20180721_132418043_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20180721_132752746.jpg

Boot into Linux, install a piece of software called efibootmgr (this may or may not be already included in your system), efibootmgr is software that allows you to manipulate the boot variables stored on your UEFI.

Once you have it installed, open a terminal and just run the command without any arguments to list your boot entries.

(Sidenote: This requires root, so I'm going to add sudo to every command I list here, if you're in a root terminal you can omit sudo)

sudo efibootmgr

Running this command should give you an output similar to this

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 2 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0004
Boot0000* antergos_grub
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
Boot0003* UEFI:Removable Device
Boot0004* UEFI:Network Device

This is a list of the boot entries stored in your UEFI. If you want to remove, say, Boot0001 (in my case, Windows Boot Manager), run this command

sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -B

The -b flag will select your boot number, in this case it's Boot0001, and the -B flag will delete the boot entry.

Note that it's case sensitive, -b must be lowercase and -B must be uppercase.

Be sure to re-run sudo efibootmgr to list the boot entries again after you modify the boot entries, the numbers for your boot order may have changed after you delete a boot entry.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD