minor laptop fiasco

If I am supposed to make two different threads or post this somewhere else, my bad.

I'm also posting about my boyfriends laptop, so I might not know all the info I could/should.

The laptop is a Lenovo y50, and from a quick look-up, it seems to be somewhat common for the screen to flicker. It started as flashing black horizontal lines, but it has gotten to the point where the screen will flash black quickly. To me, it sounds like a hardware issue, because he has already updated his drivers frequently. Is it repairable, and if so, what would the estimated price be/ would BestBuy be sufficient? He has other minor livable problems, like his battery basically being fried (easy fix) and heating problems from trying to run high-end games for long periods of time. 

So to combat that, today we found a $5 Cooler Master Notepal U2, and the only problem with it is the fans' bearings are worn (also some stealthy electrical tape around the wire). I'm not super knowledgeable about PC parts, so would any same-size fan work for a replacement for the two?

I can provide videos of the flickering and the fan noise if my description was bad or something :)