How To Change PCI ID of a Graphics card?

Okay I'll keep this as short as I can.

Backstory:
========
I bought a used Zotac FE GTX760 which didn't work at first. It needed a small soldering of an IC connection on the back to work as it was loose. It was done at a professional shop. 
The problem started after installing Nvidia drivers (though it's not caused by the driver itself)
The card is recognised as a GTX 680 instead of a GTX 760.
Since then I've tried in vain to flash it with nvflash only to be greeted by 'Gpu mismatch' and it doesn't ask for any prompt for override ( I did use override codes -5,-6. -4 is unrecognised).
So anyway, after watching a guide on youtube,(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlgOZZMKU8) I managed to successfully flash the GTX 760 bios on it in DOS mode. 

Current Issue:
===========
The current issue is that Device ID is recognised correctly as 1187, corresponding to GTX 760. However, PCI adaptor ID is recognised as 1180, aka GTX 680. 
Therefore Nvidia will install 680 drivers instead of 760 and it crashes on desktop.
I've been trying for days trying to fix it with no luck

Only possible way i can imagine is to manually change Adaptor id using --setpci command in Nvflash but I don't know how.

I really need help with this as I really can't afford another GPU.

Specs:
=====

Asus P5G41T-MLX
Pentium E5700 @3Ghz
2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
GTX 760 (obviously lol)
Corsair VS550

I know it isn't the best, but I'll be putting a Xeon in it and add 8gb of Ram and I'll have a 1080p capable rig ;)

You can see that Adaptor ID is that of a 680, while the device ID shows 760

760.PNG

I had this issue when I tried to force flash my GTX 660, you have to disable write protection on the bios and force the bios flash on the card. But there is a chance you might brick the card since you are forcing the bios overwrite. But if you have another GPU or iGPU you can always boot with that and force flash the card again if it still gets detected. But I'm not 100% it will work still after being bricked.

23 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I had this issue when I tried to force flash my GTX 660, you have to disable write protection on the bios and force the bios flash on the card. But there is a chance you might brick the card since you are forcing the bios overwrite. But if you have another GPU or iGPU you can always boot with that and force flash the card again if it still gets detected. But I'm not 100% it will work still after being bricked.

I've already force flashed it with write protection off. That's how the device id got correct. But 'Pci id' stays the same for some reason.

i'm having the same problem here, but inverted, mine is a gtx 680 but recognized as a gtx 760.

i had tried the same process, but ended up the same way as happened to you.

I will try flashing anothers bios, maybe some of them work out.

The bios that you had used to flash was from a zotac too?

9 hours ago, Majestoso said:

The bios that you had used to flash was from a zotac too?

Oh how I wish we could just exchange that bit there xD. And yes I used a zotac bios from techpowerup.

The only solution I can see is manually setting the PCI id, but as I said I'm not sure how

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/154952/how-do-i-change-the-pci-device-id-of-my-graphics-card-in-the-system-to-install 

See if this works

Edited by sandywich

On 20/07/2018 at 2:31 AM, sandywich said:

Oh how I wish we could just exchange that bit there xD. And yes I used a zotac bios from techpowerup.

The only solution I can see is manually setting the PCI id, but as I said I'm not sure how

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/154952/how-do-i-change-the-pci-device-id-of-my-graphics-card-in-the-system-to-install 

See if this works

i will give it a look.

i'm trying to figure out how to use the setpci on nvflash, but i don't find anything about it. 

On 22/07/2018 at 6:54 PM, Majestoso said:

i'm trying to figure out how to use the setpci on nvflash, but i don't find anything about it. 

Same thing. There's just no help online. 

I've found just 2 articles that might help. One's the Linux one and another us a REALLY complicated tutorial. I haven't tried Linux yet cuz I didn't have the chance. 

http://gpumod.wikia.com/wiki/Modifying_2xx_–_4xx_series_GeForce_into_a_Quadro

Here's the other link. 

I can't quit on this cuz I have no other options here. I've gotta make it work at any cost. We're pretty much on an isolated boat in this one lol. 

1 hour ago, sandywich said:

I've found just 2 articles that might help. One's the Linux one and another us a REALLY complicated tutorial. I haven't tried Linux yet cuz I didn't have the chance. 

Here's the other link. 

I can't quit on this cuz I have no other options here. I've gotta make it work at any cost. We're pretty much on an isolated boat in this one lol. 

I really need to make mine work as well, and looks like there is no one online that know a easy way to solve it.

I will give a look at this link too. The problem with the linus one it's that i don't know much about linux, but if i have the change, i will try this as well.

2 hours ago, sandywich said:

Here's the other link. 

The guy from this article said that he would cover the Keplers.

Let's try to find this one.

10 hours ago, Majestoso said:

I've found one link about it, and basilcally, to what it seems, the id of the kepler's cards is setted by resistor, so, maybe we will need to change them.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/ 

Oh damn. That's bad new. I checked around and found these links. Looks like you're right. Since my card was repaired there's a good chance this is what happened to me. Before I go back and see if it's even possible to change it back, I'm gonna try something crazy. I'm gonna try flashing it with a GTX 680 bios, since it's already being recognised as one. The first link asks how to change the device id to make it a 680, I've already got that part so hey why not. I may kill the card or something in the process but I'll keep you updated

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1403674-official-nvidia-gtx-760-owners-club-506.html#/topics/1403674?page=507

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/pny-gtx760-recognized-as-tesla-k10.209730/page-2

3 hours ago, sandywich said:

Oh damn. That's bad new. I checked around and found these links. Looks like you're right. Since my card was repaired there's a good chance this is what happened to me. Before I go back and see if it's even possible to change it back, I'm gonna try something crazy. I'm gonna try flashing it with a GTX 680 bios, since it's already being recognised as one. The first link asks how to change the device id to make it a 680, I've already got that part so hey why not. I may kill the card or something in the process but I'll keep you updated

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1403674-official-nvidia-gtx-760-owners-club-506.html#/topics/1403674?page=507

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/pny-gtx760-recognized-as-tesla-k10.209730/page-2

It could work, after all is the same chip, hope that your chip is a good one and the deactivated Cuda core works.

My case is a bit different, because it is a gtx 680 chip on a gtx760 pcb, the old pcb has fucked up after a problem with a short.

What we need to do is discover which resistor to change.

If your card is a reference one, like mine pcb, we cold discover it more quickly.

It seems that it is set by 4 resistor:

GTX680                  GTX760

resistor0                           none                        ?

3th byte resistor 1              25k                        ?

3th byte resistor 2            none                        ?

4th byte  8-f resistor 3       5k                           ?

So basically, we need to find out were on gtx 760 is those resistors and it's values. Having that, is just a matter of change them.

I will try to contact the guy that had repaired mine and see if he can help someway.

8 hours ago, Majestoso said:

It could work, after all is the same chip, hope that your chip is a good one and the deactivated Cuda core works.

My case is a bit different, because it is a gtx 680 chip on a gtx760 pcb, the old pcb has fucked up after a problem with a short.

What we need to do is discover which resistor to change.

If your card is a reference one, like mine pcb, we cold discover it more quickly.

It seems that it is set by 4 resistor:

GTX680                  GTX760

resistor0                           none                        ?

3th byte resistor 1              25k                        ?

3th byte resistor 2            none                        ?

4th byte  8-f resistor 3       5k                           ?

So basically, we need to find out were on gtx 760 is those resistors and it's values. Having that, is just a matter of change them.

I will try to contact the guy that had repaired mine and see if he can help someway.

Dude, I found the issue. I looked closely and found the missing resistor. The guy joined terminals right under it which caused the mix up. It's also a reference cards so maybe I could find it online. 

I'm guessing the points that's shorted now corresponds to 0 for 1180. The points with Missing resistor needs to correspond to value 7. 

I'm guessing my config (top is infinitek and bottom is shorted)  is what you need and yours is what I need 

EDIT: 

Nvm. Those are not the resistors. They're under tge Q504 label. They're too small to work with :(

I did solder that other bit though and it refused to output display. Gonna change it back.

And I flashed the 680 bios also. It worked stable in the desktop and GPU z detected it as a 680, while the specs were of a 760. But it crashed pathetically in games. I'm just broken rn.. feeling helpless yet again..

PicsArt_07-24-07.10.37.jpg

1 hour ago, sandywich said:

Dude, I found the issue. I looked closely and found the missing resistor. The guy joined terminals right under it which caused the mix up. It's also a reference cards so maybe I could find it online. 

I'm guessing the points that's shorted now corresponds to 0 for 1180. The points with Missing resistor needs to correspond to value 7. 

I'm guessing my config (top is infinitek and bottom is shorted)  is what you need and yours is what I need

True

14 hours ago, sandywich said:

EDIT: 

Nvm. Those are not the resistors. They're under tge Q504 label. They're too small to work with :(

I did solder that other bit though and it refused to output display. Gonna change it back.

And I flashed the 680 bios also. It worked stable in the desktop and GPU z detected it as a 680, while the specs were of a 760. But it crashed pathetically in games. I'm just broken rn.. feeling helpless yet again..

Dude, the pny and zotac pcb is really diferent, i thought they were alike.

The most eletronics parts is on the front of my card and right now i don't have a philips to open it. I will try to found one and sent a picture here, becouse i don't know much things about eletronics and seems like you know about it.

58 minutes ago, Majestoso said:

Dude, the pny and zotac pcb is really diferent, i thought they were alike.

The most eletronics parts is on the front of my card and right now i don't have a philips to open it. I will try to found one and sent a picture here, becouse i don't know much things about eletronics and seems like you know about it.

Ah. Hmm I don't really know much on electronics as well lol. I'm just trying out stuff I see online, out of desperation. I just need this to work ;-; 

The resistor things that I mentioned earlier looks exactly like a stock reference board image so it might not be that after all, I'm not sure anymore. 

Idk what more I have to do... I'm out of options ?

But in your case, I suggest Flashing a 760 ROM in dos mode( windows didn't work for me). In my case I think the 680 drivers tried to use non existent shaders in 760 die and caused it to crash. 

But for you since 680 is a better hardware, the driver might find what it's looking for and it may work. 

I mean you have nothing to lose lol. A bad flash can be fixed with a reflash to stock bios. 

Follow the steps in the YouTube link I've posted. See if it might work for you

7 hours ago, sandywich said:

Ah. Hmm I don't really know much on electronics as well lol. I'm just trying out stuff I see online, out of desperation. I just need this to work ;-; 

The resistor things that I mentioned earlier looks exactly like a stock reference board image so it might not be that after all, I'm not sure anymore. 

Idk what more I have to do... I'm out of options ?

But in your case, I suggest Flashing a 760 ROM in dos mode( windows didn't work for me). In my case I think the 680 drivers tried to use non existent shaders in 760 die and caused it to crash. 

But for you since 680 is a better hardware, the driver might find what it's looking for and it may work. 

I mean you have nothing to lose lol. A bad flash can be fixed with a reflash to stock bios. 

Follow the steps in the YouTube link I've posted. See if it might work for you

Dude, i'm already using a gtx 760 bios, but it still crashes after some time, and vary depending of the game.

I bought a multimeter and an the philips, if you have this tools there too give a look on the card and try to find something like this: 

?action=dlattach;attach=43392;image

Now i will try to find the resistors and it's values.

Hey man, i think i had find it: 

Test.jpg

Basically it has 2 slots for setting the 4th byte. The low one correspond to 0-7 (which i tested on the image) and the high one that set 8-F. So we need to change the low one (0-7) and the math is 5k=0, take the 5k+ more 5k and you have 1, so basically, it starts on 5k representing 0 and when you add more 5k you add +1, so 5k represents 0 and 40k represents 7.

In my case i will need to change the 40k one for a 5k, and, in your case will be 5k one to an 40k. 

On your case, with the image that your had sent, the resistor should be one of these two markeds with green, you will need to check which one is currently 5k, so change it for an 40k to set the 7 as the last byte. On my board it is the 1, but on the board of the guy that discovered it was the 2.

sss.jpg

But look carefully, becouse your board can have a different layout of resistors.

17 minutes ago, Majestoso said:

On your case, with the image that your had sent, the resistor should be one of these two markeds with green, you will need to check which one is currently 5k, so change it for an 40k to set the 7 as the last byte. On my board it is the 1, but on the board of the guy that discovered it was the 2.

sss.jpg

But look carefully, becouse your board can have a different layout of resistors.

Oh damn. Thanks dude!!

I had thought that might be it but I compared to the reference board and thought both looked the same. Never thought the resistance values could be different lol. 

But uh, how do you plan on obtaining a 5k thingy? And how do you plan on changing it? 

10 minutes ago, sandywich said:

Oh damn. Thanks dude!!

I had thought that might be it but I compared to the reference board and thought both looked the same. Never thought the resistance values could be different lol. 

But uh, how do you plan on obtaining a 5k thingy? And how do you plan on changing it? 

I will take the card and go to the guy that repeared it and replace the resistor today.

But in my case, the gtx 680 chip is basically the same as gtx 770, so i will replace the id to 1184(gtx 770 ID), which means put an 25k.

If it works out, i tell here.

1 minute ago, Majestoso said:

I will take the card and go to the guy that repeared it and replace the resistor today.

But in my case, the gtx 680 chip is basically the same as gtx 770, so i will replace the id to 1184(gtx 770 ID), which means put an 25k.

If it works out, i tell here.

Ahh Good luck man! I hope it works out for you. In my case I'll contact the guy too. I'll see if he's capable of doing it

Keep me posted