Vega 56 or GTX 1070?

Pavilion

I want this for me small build which one should I get? is there any performance difference?

Note: My CPU will be ryzen 1700x

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

Is there a price difference? Vega 56 is a better choice than the non-TI GTX 1070.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

21 minutes ago, Pavilion said:

Vega 56 for free-sync savings if the price is decent.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

To be honest guys, I had a terrible experience with AMD cards many years ago, like when Half Life 2 came out, lol, so since then I'm not even considering them as an option. I have a 1070 now, not Ti, and I'm still happy with it. I run everything at 1440p on highest settings (for the games that I play), at 60 FPS, or around 60. I'm not too obsessed with the numbers so I don't check every game, but for me everything is perfectly smooth and beautiful. I think if I was looking to get more FPS, I'd go with 1070Ti at, and if I wanted to go with 4K then I'd get a 1080 ot 1080Ti. Gaming is not my #1 priority, so 1070 is fine.

Um, team green here I guess.

d.

39 minutes ago, drumn_bass said:

You had a bad experience like 14 years ago?

Looks like AMD was winning back then though

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1546/10

If they're the same price Vega 56 makes more sense due to saving money with a free-sync monitor.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

20 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You had a bad experience like 14 years ago?

Looks like AMD was winning back then though

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1546/10

If they're the same price Vega 56 makes more sense due to saving money with a free-sync monitor.

Yeah I know, it's ridiculous, but when HL2 came out, it didn't even work for me with an AMD card, there were weird distortions and flickers everywhere, so I switched to NVidia, it worked perfectly, and since then every video card I had was from NVidia. I'm by no means trying to claim that NV is better today, just saying I had AMD cards off my radar for yeah, 14 years or so. I wanted to play that game so much, and had tried so hard to get it to work, it was some real stress for my teen self back then that I still remember it like it happened yesterday.

Depends, how much you pay for a Custom Cooler model.

And if your Monitor supports Freesync or G-Sync.

If you want to calculate Graphic card + G-Sync / Freesync Monitor, it's not as easy as some make it sound here.

If a Vega 56 Custom costs 100 bucks more than a GTX 1070 (in Germany, Vega 56 start at 509€, GTX 1070 at 385 (cheapest model) - 407€ (best 1070 out there, Palit Gamerock).

In This Case: Yes, a Freesync monitor will probably be 100 € cheaper. But the Graphics Card will be 100-123€~ more expensive + consumes much more Power. In that example, you are cheaper with a GTX 1070 + G-Sync Monitor. And more power efficient.

And to add: GTX 1080 (22-25€ faster than GTX 1070) starts at 470€, up to 498-540€ for some decent models.

In the last few Months, especially when Mining was still interesting for some countries, the GTX 1080 + G-Sync Monitor Solution w as about 150-200 bucks CHEAPER, than a similar Performance RX Vega 64 + Freesync monitor (cheapest WQHD + 27" + 144 Hz for both Monitors). Both GPUs of course custom Cooler. That was nuts.

Don't just go blindly to "ehrr freesync is cheaper". Check what prices are are your Region, and calculate what the final cost will be like. Vegas are still over 100 bucks more expensive, as what they should cost (also compared to Nvidia. The vega SHOULD be a bit cheaper than a similar performance Nvidia counterpart - because Vega's Power consumption is much higher. This needs to be compensated for the "Price / Performance ratio".), also due to the expensive HBM2 Memory.

And don't forget to think about the Power consumption. Saving 30 Bucks in total is Not worth it, if the AMD solution consumes 120 watt more (which isn't just an issue of your Bank account, but also how much Heat is beeing thrown into your Room during summer. It makes a difference, if your PC throws out 250w into your Room, instead 350-400w.+

As for pure performance: Vega 56 is a bit faster than GTX 1070. few %, probably no gamer in the world will ever notice it without Tools.

GTX 1070 ti is slightly fastert han Vega 56.

vega 64 and GTX 1080 are similar fast.

Of course, depending on what Games you play. On some games, AMD is favoured, on others Nvidia.